quality assurance and beta testing?

14 posts (showing 1-14)
rosedragon

Market Level 1Community Level 16
3696 posts

Question #1 : I see PVZ have both quality assurance team and beta testers team. I remember at past I learn that QA = beta testing but now it seems different? Can one point me out the differents instead QA usually a term used by for-hire beta testers?

Question #2 : I ask some people to beta test my game. But they only give 2 lines of words, and not even a great feedback, they are more like common comments. Are they still considered doing theirs beta test task?

Question #3 : What should I say to those kind of beta testers if I just feel.. they are not worth to be mentioned in credit?

Question #4 :Anyone know if there is cheap QA service for flash market out there?

posted 2009-05-17T12:51:01-07:00
sbat

Market Level 7Community Level 7
849 posts

Let me share my thoughts on it:

- Q2: "Are they still considered doing theirs beta test task?" That really depends on what task you have given to them, right? ;-) You'd better describe very clearly and atomically what they need to do - better in Word document form. For example one guy may have an instruction to "play missions 1-5 of the game in IE 6.0, FP 9.0". Then you specify what is deliverable, for example: list all functional bugs (you clicked and it did not shoot), list performance gaps (is game running smooth or there are hickups), list 3 or more things they want to be changed in the game, list 3 or more things they liked most about the game, parting thoughts. They really have to write you test report.

- Q3. It is really easy. If they filled their beta report correctly - they did their job right. If not - they did it wrong. ;-) Not everyone would have creativity to suggest you superb enhancements and this is fine.

- Q1. Usually QA team is internal company team. They read docs (or talk to designers) and write down test cases (like "click on dragon on the screen, type in AAA to his response, make sure it worked", "click on dragone, type in BBB, make sure it does not", etc). Then they methodically execute what is written (or automate that) on set schedule. Usually they get early builds with lots of bugs.

Beta testers are real players outside your company. Goal here is to see on larger group if you have any issues with balance, complexity or any remaining bugs. They are supposed to get working and almost bug free game.

posted 2009-05-17T16:12:40-07:00
Tigga

Market Level 3Community Level 6
185 posts

Beta-testing is part of QA. QA is the term for the whole set of testing - it includes in-depth bug testing, assesing early builds for low-level problems, as well as beta-testing.

I'd say your description of beta-testing is about right, although often companies beta-test in house.

posted 2009-05-17T16:21:00-07:00
rosedragon

3696 posts

@sbat: unfortunatly I wasn't make a list what should they do :( .

Ok thanks Sbat for the lengthy answers and thanks to Tigga for adding the info! :D

posted 2009-05-17T16:48:38-07:00
sbat

Market Level 7Community Level 7
849 posts

@rosedragon, I think nothing is lost yet! ;-) You can find more beta-testers or/and you can maybe e-mail same  existing testers "Thanks for your feedback, but can you please specify more details/observations on your beta-play session" (and attach your list of questions). Those who don't want to spend that extra time, will not get to credits and you will not feel bad about it! ;-)

posted 2009-05-17T16:59:15-07:00
rosedragon

3696 posts

ok, thanks sbat. :D

posted 2009-05-17T18:11:10-07:00
DouglasHill

Market Level 0Community Level 0
0 posts

The QA and software testing are very important but should be provided by the professional software quality assurance services. Here is the one proven QA service http://www.nixsolutions.com/services/quality-assurance-services/ I often work with them about the creating and development some mobile app.

posted 2016-01-15T12:47:34-08:00
b10b

Market Level 4Community Level 7
970 posts

Q1. The way I've seen it (in various sizes of teams from 1 to 100) is that Quality Assurance is about creating and maintaining the "process of quality", of which testing is a small part.  QA spans many things from documenting procedures, using frameworks, version control, conventions, bug tracking, unit testing, user testing, compliance, regulatory and beyond.  It's the nerdy ride at Nerdland - and I love it!

Q2.  You may need to design more process for your Beta Testers to follow for their feedback to become valuable to you.  Tedious systematic / destructive testing can potentially be eliminated if QA processes are stringent enough.  Consider also that different people use the same words in different ways, so written feedback is ambiguous.

Q3.  See Q2 - everyone can be useful if they have the right instructions and incentive.

Q4.  If you have a recent Police Check available, try your local school.  Again, proper process will be critical to organising and maintaining such a privilege.

posted 2016-01-15T18:35:46-08:00
Blackizzy

Market Level 1Community Level 5
418 posts

Have to keep in mind also the difference between creative testing, wich is actually taking the game and playing it until you encounter a bug. The funnest way, but also the rarest kind of testing.

Oriented testing (name may differ), is filling grid points by points. I remember we had to check like 700 points and it is quite a hefty and boring task. It doesn't even feels like playing.

The problem with QA testing, is that the % of young, undisciplined, uncaring kids is high enough to make it difficult finding valuable ones.

I used to work in EA QA testing department and i know what i am talking about. It was a total disaster. And those kids are acting like that and being paid. Imagine when they are not, the ultra small amount of professionalism they can be capable is asymptotic to zero.

Same things for many players. Most of them comments with enlightening monosyllabic words. "Your game is shit" is something one can hear quite often.

When hiring QA testers, i would ideally ask them their age and to write a critic of a game they liked and disliked. But i know doing thing over the distance might be tricky, especially if doing things for credit only. Good luck with all of this!

posted 2016-01-15T19:31:16-08:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

Guys guys guys, you do realise that this 7 year old thread was resurrected by a spam bot right lol? Either way, some insightful / useful comments were added lol.

posted 2016-01-15T20:55:26-08:00
Blackizzy

Market Level 1Community Level 5
418 posts

Party Spoiler!

posted 2016-01-15T22:32:17-08:00
b10b

Market Level 4Community Level 7
970 posts

Oh cramp ... I did not, I normally check, hangs head in shame ...

... mutters under breath that older posts should have lower alpha ...

posted 2016-01-16T01:39:47-08:00
Totor

Market Level 0Community Level 2
108 posts

seems the forum hasn't been properly QAed with the zombie's post prevention plugin :)

posted 2016-01-21T14:57:17-08:00
Jemma

Market Level 0Community Level 0
0 posts

QA and beta testing sre similar and different at the same time. QA is an company internal testing and checking for some bugs. Beta testing is a public testing or testing in a closed circle of people. More detailed information you can get from this guys http://qatestlab.com/services/we-are-professionals-in/server-service-testing/.

posted 2016-12-05T11:29:31-08:00