[Reboot] Finished Games with no luck ? Come here

46 posts (showing 1-20)
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

Since the demand for browser games bottomed out, causing most dev's to move on to other platforms (mobile / desktop / console etc) it makes me wonder what the arcade portal owners are doing? Are they getting by mainly on games developed in house? Have they moved on to other areas as well, (I don't see how they could really transition into desktop / console market, but perhaps mobile publishers?). Have a lot of them simply gone out of business? Anyone have any info in this area?

posted 2016-09-10T18:40:08-07:00 | edited 2016-09-10T18:41:18-07:00
LongAnimals

Market Level 9Community Level 14
983 posts

We've left ours to slowly die. Still getting a diminishing income from it.

posted 2016-09-11T12:18:11-07:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

LongAnimals said:

We've left ours to slowly die. Still getting a diminishing income from it.

Are you now solely developing mobile games, or are you doing other things as well?

posted 2016-09-11T22:08:01-07:00
TylerNG

Market Level 5Community Level 4
332 posts

On Sep 10, 2016, TheDeveloper said:

(I don't see how they could really transition into desktop / console market, but perhaps mobile publishers?).

This is actually what they're doing though.

posted 2016-09-19T03:33:17-07:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

TylerNG said:

This is actually what they're doing though.

Care to follow up on this assertion that a decent number of former Flash game arcade / portal owners are now publishing video games for the console and desktop market? (I am aware adult swim have ventured into this area, and there are the obvious entries from Newgrounds, I am not aware of any other console / desktop games made by Flash portal owners?! There may well be one or two others, but at a number large enough to say that this is where the majority of portal owners have moved to, I would be surprised!)

posted 2016-09-19T11:43:43-07:00 | edited 2016-09-19T11:49:32-07:00
TylerNG

Market Level 5Community Level 4
332 posts

TheDeveloper said:

TylerNG said:

This is actually what they're doing though.

Care to follow up on this assertion that a decent number of former Flash game arcade / portal owners are now publishing video games for the console and desktop market? (I am aware adult swim have ventured into this area, and there are the obvious entries from Newgrounds, I am not aware of any other console / desktop games made by Flash portal owners?! There may well be one or two others, but at a number large enough to say that this is where the majority of portal owners have moved to, I would be surprised!)

I didn't say a "decent number" or "a majority"; learn to read. Those that want to stay in the game business are transitioning- they have to. Those you listed are, Armor Games is, etc.

posted 2016-09-19T18:55:22-07:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

TylerNG said:

I didn't say a "decent number" or "a majority"; learn to read. Those that want to stay in the game business are transitioning- they have to. Those you listed are, Armor Games is, etc.

What is wrong with you?

Look at the original question, "What are the 'portal' owners doing now?", from this you can see I am not talking about specific portal owners, not one or two portal owners, not a handful of portal owners, but all / a majority / a decent number of portal owners.

Then I made a statement saying that I don't believe portal owners are moving into the console / PC desktop market (again following on from the original question, we are clearly talking about all / majority of portal owners here).

To which you replied, "This is actually what they're doing though." , following on naturally from how the previous questions have been laid out, you are implying "all / a majority of portal owners", since we are clearly talking about the majority, and you have just come in and dropped a comment that fails to specify or point out in any even remotely clear way that you are talking about ... well ... Armor Games (since you didn't mention anyone else).

Instead of being a stupid child and leaving comments like "learn to read", all you needed to do was say something like.

Those that want to stay in the game business are transitioning- they have to. Those you listed are, Armor Games is, etc.

Or you original comment could have just read; 

This is what armor games is doing.

Instead you feel it is a good idea to antagonise random people online? Idiot.

posted 2016-09-19T20:09:00-07:00
RadConrad

Market Level 2Community Level 1
28 posts

Other than the portals listed, Kongregate is doing pretty well. Miniclip is killing it on mobiles (I work there). I haven't heard of any popular game by Newgrounds on mobiles, they have Castle Crashers on consoles. Not Doppler Published the Earn To Die series, dunno why they stopped there. 

posted 2016-09-20T15:35:03-07:00 | edited 2016-09-20T15:38:48-07:00
TylerNG

Market Level 5Community Level 4
332 posts

On Sep 19, 2016, TheDeveloper said:

TylerNG said:

I didn't say a "decent number" or "a majority"; learn to read. Those that want to stay in the game business are transitioning- they have to. Those you listed are, Armor Games is, etc.

What is wrong with you?

Look at the original question, "What are the 'portal' owners doing now?", from this you can see I am not talking about specific portal owners, not one or two portal owners, not a handful of portal owners, but all / a majority / a decent number of portal owners.

Then I made a statement saying that I don't believe portal owners are moving into the console / PC desktop market (again following on from the original question, we are clearly talking about all / majority of portal owners here).

To which you replied, "This is actually what they're doing though." , following on naturally from how the previous questions have been laid out, you are implying "all / a majority of portal owners", since we are clearly talking about the majority, and you have just come in and dropped a comment that fails to specify or point out in any even remotely clear way that you are talking about ... well ... Armor Games (since you didn't mention anyone else).

Instead of being a stupid child and leaving comments like "learn to read", all you needed to do was say something like.

Those that want to stay in the game business are transitioning- they have to. Those you listed are, Armor Games is, etc.

Or you original comment could have just read; 

This is what armor games is doing.

Instead you feel it is a good idea to antagonise random people online? Idiot.

I am fascinated by your projection: calling me an "idiot" and "stupid" when you're the one who doesn't even know what's happening in his own industry. 

Yet when a professional comes in to help you, you attack him. After that display of malice and stupidity, it's hard to feel bad you are both a failure and clueless about the market you're trying to compete in.

posted 2016-09-20T16:06:59-07:00 | edited 2016-09-20T16:24:39-07:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

TylerNG said:

I am fascinated by your projection: calling me an "idiot" and "stupid" when you're the one who doesn't even know what's happening in his own industry. 


Yet when a professional comes in to help you, you attack him. After that display of malice and stupidity, it's hard to feel bad you are both a failure and clueless about the market you're trying to compete in.

I feel calling you a stupid idiot is pretty valid due to the fact you are making comments only a stupid idiot would make. Lets unpack this; 

you're the one who doesn't even know what's happening in his own industry

I am a game developer, I no longer work with or deal with web portals, as I no longer develop browser based web games. Now yes, you can say portal owners are in or part of the gaming industry, however they don't really occupy any territory that affects what I am doing, so it isn't particularly important for me to know what is happening with arcade portal owners. I know full well what is going on in the various sectors of the industry that I need to be aware of. 

Either way, you have no knowledge with regards to what I do and don't know, all of the information you have is just me asking what portal owners are up to these days, and that's it, you don't have any other information with regards to my knowledge of the gaming industry, yet you make the statement, "you're the one who doesn't even know what's happening in his own industry", only a stupid idiot would make such statements with this little information.

Then you went on to say;

it's hard to feel bad you are both a failure and clueless about the market you're trying to compete in

Again, you have zero information with regards to what I have or haven't achieved so far with my time in game development, with no information how can you call me a failure, and clueless? Only a stupid idiot would say such things with no information or knowledge behind them.

I don't know you, I don't know your games, I don't know anything about what you have or haven't achieved in game development, with no information I wouldn't presume to call you a clueless failure, you could well be a clueless failure, I wouldn't be surprised if this were true, however as I don't know, I can't honestly make a statement can I.

What I do know is that you misunderstand simple statements, and say stupid idiotic things, as the evidence I have to back this up is typed out clearly above, so I can confidently and accurately call you a stupid idiot.

posted 2016-09-20T17:14:39-07:00
TylerNG

Market Level 5Community Level 4
332 posts

Again, you have zero information with regards to what I have or haven't achieved so far with my time in game development, with no information how can you call me a failure, and clueless? Only a stupid idiot would say such things with no information or knowledge behind them.

Your confident stupidity is quite amazing for a Market Level 0.

Also, please share what you've achieved. Surely you would advertise it?

posted 2016-09-20T17:18:10-07:00 | edited 2016-09-20T17:29:14-07:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

RadConrad said:

Other than the portals listed, Kongregate is doing pretty well. Miniclip is killing it on mobiles (I work there). I haven't heard of any popular game by Newgrounds on mobiles, they have Castle Crashers on consoles. Not Doppler Published the Earn To Die series, dunno why they stopped there. 

I have noticed Miniclips presence in the app world, I understand their 8 ball pool app is doing exceptionally? I know Spil are trying their hand at mobile as well. So you are saying Not Doppler have published a handful of games and stopped?

We've dropped the names of a few portals, but still, it's only a handful, and all were pretty big / well known portals, makes you wonder what happened to the mid level / smaller portals?

posted 2016-09-20T17:22:37-07:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

TylerNG said:

Your confident stupidity is quite amazing for a Market Level 0. Keep talking smack on professionals like me; see how much that helps you if you ever try to make anything out of your game design career. 

lol still being an idiot I see. So because this account is ML 0 you assume what exactly? I see your account is ML5, I have a ML5 account on here too, it was made last year, so would it be correct for me to assume that your entire achievements in game development over the 6 year period that your account has existed, was merely to reach ML5? Something I was able to do in much shorter time? No, actually it wouldn't be correct for me to assume that your ML means anything, as I myself know that my ML5 account on FGL represents only a small fraction of the revenue I generated from game development in that period. So you could be ML5 on FGL, but you could well have made a lot more money than that, thus ML means nothing. Taking into consideration the fact that you must be aware of the fact that FGL ML by no means represents game development earnings, why would you even feel the need to bring up this account being ML0? Only a stupid idiot would ... oh wait lol.

Also, please share what you've achieved. Surely you would advertise it?

Why would I care to advertise such things to the likes of you? All I care about with regards to my achievements is that over the past 8+ years I have been able work full time developing games and generate enough income to live off of it, buy the stuff I have wanted to buy, live where ever I have wanted to live, and visit the countries I have wanted to visit. I don't feel the need to throw out, "oh I sold X amount of licenses to X publisher", and "have made X amount of money over X period of time", and "my games have been played a total of X amount of times, on X number of different platforms". This isn't important to me, like whatever you have or haven't achieved isn't important to me either.

I share my achievements with those of whom I feel they need to be shared with. Not with stupid idiots online.

posted 2016-09-20T17:38:01-07:00 | edited 2016-09-20T17:39:50-07:00
Blackizzy

Market Level 1Community Level 5
416 posts

 To stay in the topic, i agree with RadConrad about Kongregate. I am still regularly doing art assets for a flash game sponsored and marketed by Kong for more than a year and it's doing very well with something around 10,000 players playing on nearly daily basis. It's even supposed to be released on Steam still with Kong pushing it. So the market is not dead, it is maybe extremely polarized, when games generating revenues are mainly MMORPG or other kind of big online games.

  Now, i don't want to especially take TheDeveloper defense, when i see he is most of the time pretty harsh in his comments, but making the assumption he is an analphabet is somewhat offensive and i understand the strike back.

   IMO sometimes questions are just a pretext for interaction, it does'nt mean someone is totally clueless about a topic, just that they want personal insights.

posted 2016-09-20T17:39:21-07:00
TylerNG

Market Level 5Community Level 4
332 posts

TheDeveloper said:

TylerNG said:

Your confident stupidity is quite amazing for a Market Level 0. Keep talking smack on professionals like me; see how much that helps you if you ever try to make anything out of your game design career. 

lol still being an idiot I see. So because this account is ML 0 you assume what exactly? I see your account is ML5, I have a ML5 account on here too, it was made last year, so would it be correct for me to assume that your entire achievements in game development over the 6 year period that your account has existed, was merely to reach ML5? Something I was able to do in much shorter time? No, actually it wouldn't be correct for me to assume that your ML means anything, as I myself know that my ML5 account on FGL represents only a small fraction of the revenue I generated from game development in that period. So you could be ML5 on FGL, but you could well have made a lot more money than that, thus ML means nothing. Taking into consideration the fact that you must be aware of the fact that FGL ML by no means represents game development earnings, why would you even feel the need to bring up this account being ML0? Only a stupid idiot would ... oh wait lol.

Also, please share what you've achieved. Surely you would advertise it?

Why would I care to advertise such things to the likes of you? All I care about with regards to my achievements is that over the past 8+ years I have been able work full time developing games and generate enough income to live off of it, buy the stuff I have wanted to buy, live where ever I have wanted to live, and visit the countries I have wanted to visit. I don't feel the need to through out, "oh I sold X amount of licenses to X publisher", and "have made X amount of money over X period of time", and "my games have been played a total of X amount of times, on X number of different platforms". This isn't important to me, like whatever you have or haven't achieved isn't important to me either.

I share my achievements with those of whom I feel they need to be shared with. Not with stupid idiots online.

I've never seen a failure cry as hard as you. You're not sharing because you have nothing to share- you're just a loser who has a huge ego online.

Being a poser won't get you ahead. Attacking successful people won't get you ahead. Hope you realize this one day. Best of luck to you in the future. 

posted 2016-09-20T17:41:53-07:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

TylerNG said:

I've never seen a failure cry as hard as you. You're not sharing because you have nothing to share- you're just a loser who has a huge ego online.

lol if believing that makes you feel better about yourself then go ahead hahahaha.

Look at this, one moment Tyler NG is spouting off;

Your confident stupidity is quite amazing for a Market Level 0.

Also, please share what you've achieved. Surely you would advertise it?

The next moment he decides to point out the pointlessness of his own words;

Being a poser won't get you ahead. Attacking successful people won't get you ahead.

loool.

For anyone reading this it is a good illustration of what people do when they don't actually have an argument or anyway to defend their position. He is calling me a failure whilst at the same time acknowledging that he has no information on his side to back this up. On one hand he is saying "ML 0 account", yet his account is only ML 5 and is 6 years old, I have a ML 5 account on here, it was made last year. So I know first hand how much money takes you to ML 5, and believe me if that is all you have to show for 6 years in game development, well it would be tough to call yourself a success. So he would have to accept (as is true) that account ML doesn't mean anything, (the ML 5 account I have represents only a fraction of the money I made from Flash games over that period), so then why is he saying "ML 0" at all? It is because he is a stupid idiot that's why lol.

This didn't even need to turn into an argument, he could have simply contributed positively to the discussion by pointing out that Armor Games are doing X, why drag it down to this level?

lol on a side note, I am surprised an FGL staff member hasn't moderated this yet lol.

posted 2016-09-20T18:38:37-07:00
TylerNG

Market Level 5Community Level 4
332 posts

lol on a side note, I am surprised an FGL staff member hasn't moderated this yet lol.

This didn't even need to turn into an argument, he could have simply contributed positively to the discussion by pointing out that Armor Games are doing X, why drag it down to this level?

Yeah Im surprised they haven't moderated your hysterical rantings yet either. Im blown away that you're still viciously attacking me and ranting like a lunatic for merely trying to help you. Seek mental help.

his account is only ML 5 and is 6 years old

I made games as a hobby infrequently at first. I only sold games on FGL for a 1 year period before I got picked up directly by sponsors. I've worked exclusively on Steam games the last few years.

posted 2016-09-20T18:51:58-07:00 | edited 2016-09-20T18:55:23-07:00
b10b

Market Level 4Community Level 7
970 posts

I've seen some portal operators move their portal "inside" an app (often using HTML5 to dynamically load / refresh the selection of games).  They also maintain their web portal (increasingly with the same mobile friendly content), and use it to drive traffic to the app (where CPM is probably higher?).  Kiz10.com, Kizi.com as two examples.  Larger US media networks have experimented with similar, and also include video streams in the app.

App, the new name for website!

posted 2016-09-20T18:59:20-07:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

b10b said:

I've seen some portal operators move their portal "inside" an app (often using HTML5 to dynamically load / refresh the selection of games).  They also maintain their web portal (increasingly with the same mobile friendly content), and use it to drive traffic to the app (where CPM is probably higher?).  Kiz10.com, Kizi.com as two examples.  Larger US media networks have experimented with similar, and also include video streams in the app.

App, the new name for website!

Interesting, I haven't seen these yet. So basically they (portal owners) are branching out into a few different areas, so they haven't all just gone bust / sold up and got out!

posted 2016-09-20T19:12:37-07:00
TheDeveloper

Market Level 0Community Level 3
233 posts

TylerNG said:

your hysterical rantings .... still viciously attacking me and ranting like a lunatic .... Seek mental help.

looooooooool, this guy is hilarious, the epitome of hyperbole.

I made games as a hobby infrequently at first. I only sold games on FGL for a 1 year period before I got picked up directly by sponsors. I've worked exclusively on Steam games the last few years.

lol what is this? Trying to justify his ML 5 account, something he wouldn't have to do if he didn't place some false level of importance on FGL market level.

I would consider it a pretty safe assumption to say that anyone who made any money of note with Flash games, that started off on FGL (or just used FGL) also worked heavily directly with numerous sponsors outside of FGL too. And working on games that are sold on Steam is not noteworthy either, but you're a successful guy though hey, some random dude on FGL, a developer I have never heard of who has made games I've never heard of or played Cool lool. But I don't care really, his achievements or lack of, or whatever he does / doesn't do is of no concern to me.

posted 2016-09-20T19:28:48-07:00