Do game devs here follow politics?

12 posts (showing 1-12)
Iskander Aminov

Market Level 5Community Level 3
242 posts

Mostly talking US politics, since I think we have some of the most comedic people running our country.  

To what extent do you follow?  Just who's the next president?  Do you know about other candidates?  Do you follow senators?

If you live somewhere else, do you know about TPP?

posted 2015-10-17T17:46:41-07:00
stupidlikeafox

Market Level 6Community Level 7
999 posts

Yeahhh, minor interest in US politics, keen on NZ politics, know about and am largely wary of the TPP.

Generally kiwis who oppose it aren't keen on entering an investor-state dispute agreement with a country who's overly litigious, and already has a history of corporations suing governments.

Awaiting the release of the actual document to see what the implications are.

posted 2015-10-17T19:44:50-07:00
Iskander Aminov

242 posts

There's so many speculations about it, like how it would effect the internet.  Definitely reason to be concerned because this is all being discussed by large corporations, who you know have absolutely no interest in your freedom or well being.

posted 2015-10-18T02:33:58-07:00
GameOp

Market Level 3Community Level 3
206 posts

I always though the game show type presidential debates in the US were odd, along with candidate Trump who seems like a joke, I actually thought he was kidding when he said he planned to run for president, I also don't think an audience is really necessary for a presidential election. It feels different from Canada since there is no cheering or game show vibes in our current debates. But from what I've gathered, Bernie Sanders seems like a good candidate along with Hilary Clinton being the next best option. If I were voting in the US I would probably vote for Sanders as first choice since he has similar views to Rand Paul on NSA surveillance. Elizabeth Warren would have been a good candidate for presidency for the US, but then again she is a senator so she has more power in her current position, but if she was running she would probably be my first pick because of her experience.

As for the TPP (Trans Pacific Partnership?), I read about it previously and landed at a petition page before, link is here:

http://stopthetrap.net/

I'm not surprised that Canada's PM would approve of something like this considering  the amount of secrecy hes kept in the previous year (fipa aggreement being one of them). But I would rather petition against this since it is a cause for concern.

posted 2015-10-19T17:08:47-07:00 | edited 2015-10-19T17:10:30-07:00
stupidlikeafox

999 posts

I'm also surprised that Canada is keen considering they're one of the countries most affected by ISDS cases :S

posted 2015-10-19T19:53:55-07:00
GameOp

206 posts

Canada as a whole doesn't approve of it but our prime minister tends to be a sleeze and would probably try to pass this just like what he did with the fipa aggreement and what he's currently trying to do with bill c-51. Our election was today and there is a whole movement to remove our current prime minister since he seems to act on his own, running the country as an autocracy rather then a democracy.

stupidlikeafox said:

I'm also surprised that Canada is keen considering they're one of the countries most affected by ISDS cases :S

posted 2015-10-19T21:24:17-07:00
stupidlikeafox

999 posts

Yeah, New Zealand's current governing party is the worst thing to happen to us in a long time, seems like Canada has a similar problem!

GameOp said:

Canada as a whole doesn't approve of it but our prime minister tends to be a sleeze and would probably try to pass this just like what he did with the fipa aggreement and what he's currently trying to do with bill c-51. Our election was today and there is a whole movement to remove our current prime minister since he seems to act on his own, running the country as an autocracy rather then a democracy.

stupidlikeafox said:

posted 2015-10-19T22:44:36-07:00
Iskander Aminov

242 posts

I've just started looking into Canada's politics, and it seems like you guys are doing much better with liberal parties?  You guys still have your democracy, we have to fight for ours.

posted 2015-10-20T16:47:11-07:00
GameOp

206 posts

That was recent man, liberals just won a voting majority yesterday (although I did vote NDP, anything is better then Canada's conservatives). We had to deal with a crazy PM under conservative party for 8 years but it ends for now, if they won again it would have been a guaranteed approval of TPP and 4 more years of scheming behind peoples backs under Stephen Harper (previous prime minister). Throughout 8 years Canada went through 8 deficits and 2 recessions, along with a lot of undercover agreements being signed under our old PM. The new prime minister in Canada looks promising and generally seems like a good guy, I guess we will see how he runs the country, his parties platform looks pretty good as well.

Although I do admit, Canada is probably better off then most places 

On Oct 20, 2015, Iskander Aminov said:

I've just started looking into Canada's politics, and it seems like you guys are doing much better with liberal parties?  You guys still have your democracy, we have to fight for ours.

posted 2015-10-21T05:53:44-07:00 | edited 2015-10-21T06:04:55-07:00
GameOp

206 posts

Luckily were having a reform after a long election campaign. :)

Hopefully New Zealand gets that opportunity as well, I honestly think some of these policies are created out of fear from the government, and fear out of how the people can damage their reputation. 

On Oct 19, 2015, stupidlikeafox said:

Yeah, New Zealand's current governing party is the worst thing to happen to us in a long time, seems like Canada has a similar problem!

posted 2015-10-21T05:59:25-07:00 | edited 2015-10-21T06:00:17-07:00
Iskander Aminov

242 posts

That's great, more countries against TPP the better

posted 2015-10-21T16:56:12-07:00
Ions

Market Level 0Community Level 1
0 posts

Thought the conservatives were paying off Canada's deficit. Years on end might seem intimidating...

posted 2015-11-15T21:00:38-08:00