End of unity web player

4 posts (showing 1-4)
xesenix

Market Level 0Community Level 2
41 posts

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/10/08/unity-web-player-roadmap/

Im waiting for people to realize that WebGL has as many flows as NPAPI.

For example first thing ive done when playing some bigger html5 game was checked it source and hacked together a script that automated some operations. If you arent cool with user doing that to your game your future with this stuff is pretty grim...

And using Unity for other platform its nice tool but paying 3000$ (for example Android) or using LibGDX for free instead?

posted 2015-10-09T06:19:08-07:00
FGL_Dave

FGL AdminCommunity Level 4
319 posts

While it's probably true that WebGL/HTML5 has as many flaws as NPAPI, they are not the same in nature. Google quoted security, speed and stability as major reasons for dropping NPAPI, and these are indeed concerns that WebGL/HTML5 addresses (for the most part). While it's true that you can easily inject code into a html5 game to modify your experience, this is not a big security concern as this doesn't affect other clients - only you. NPAPI allowed users to install unsandboxed plugins that could be essentially malware (and we all know how often Flash Player in particular had security issues... it wouldn't have been long before Unity Player became an often-vulnerable target too). It's not like it wasn't incredibly easy to cheat on Flash/Unity Web Player games with memory tweaking software anyway!

Stability is another big plus - as long as the page is written properly, stability then relies purely on the browser code rather than the code of foreign plugins; a much better picture for stability.

Regarding Unity vs LibGDX, these are completely different workflows, both with their own advantages and disadvantages. Unity is a complete engine and solution to editing, testing and building games. LibGDX is a game framework where you'll have to use external tools to edit your game and test. One of the biggest advantages of Unity over using raw code-based frameworks is that it makes it incredibly easy for designers to test and iterate on the gameplay by tweaking variables and testing in-editor. That kind of capability will take a lot of time (and remember, time is money) to implement on your own (possibly enough time that it wouldn't be worth it in the first place, depending on the game). However Unity ships with that very useful functionality -- and a whole heap of other very useful features too.

Regarding the $3000 cost, Unity is free to use (including deploying on Android and iOS) unless your company has a turnover of $100,000 (http://unity3d.com/get-unity). Absolutely none of the 'pro' features are necessary to make and sell a successful game, and are very strictly 'icing on the cake' -- by the time you have made $100,000, you probably will be able to easily absorb the $3000 cost if you really want to remove that splash logo and have the pro editor skin.

posted 2015-10-09T23:36:42-07:00 | edited 2015-10-09T23:38:05-07:00
xesenix

Market Level 0Community Level 2
41 posts

Thank you for explaining that unity android part i thought you need the Android part to be able at all deploy to android systems.

Stability hmm i tested a little bit more and in unity it goes with cost of 2x bigger memory consumption and 2x slower frame rate in compare to web player version.

For example in my currently developed game (note: not optimized yet and i have pretty fast working station) i could have 700+ units with path finding before frame rate drops belows 20FPS and in WebGL version it goes below for around 350 units. WebGL version when started grows FF memory consumption by 350MB and web player only by 120MB (it gets to 350 after few hours of play so there probably are some memory leaks to fix)

I dont now how much of it is unity WebGL implementation and how much html5 limitations.

posted 2015-10-10T09:20:58-07:00
FGL_Dave

FGL AdminCommunity Level 4
319 posts

I think a lot of that is because Unity's own export to WebGL process is immature. Give it a year of focus and I bet it'll be pretty solid.

posted 2015-10-10T17:33:43-07:00