[gamejam#32] Official Thread - Congratulations to Tricky Line by Zaksoid!

43 posts (showing 1-20)
FGL_Aaron

FGL AdminCommunity Level 7
1060 posts

Welcome one and all to our second Anonymous Mobile Only Game Jam!

This month FGL is donating a full $150 into the prize pool (divided $100/$30/$20) in addition to the other non-monetary prizes! We do ask that you take a moment to check out our awesome new product, Enhance™, while you're here and consider how it might simplify your life as a mobile game/app developer.

One dev said that the hardest part of putting ads into their mobile game with Enhance™ was figuring out where they put the game!

Congratulations to the winners of FGL Game Jam #32!

- 1st Place - Tricky Line by Zaksoid (score: 4.16)

- 2nd Place - 3By3 by Bryce (score: 3.68)

- 3rd Place - The Earth is attacked by tosters (score: 3.16)

Are you having trouble venturing into mobile? Get help now in our Mobile Development forum! We have experienced devs of all walks in our Community who are happy to help. If you don't find your answer there then create a thread to tell us what you're struggling with and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction!

Up Next:

• Sept 8th - Begin collecting themes for the next game jam
  • Sept 14th - 1st Round of the Game Jam Theme Narrow Down begins
  • Sept 21st - Final Round of the Game Jam Theme Narrow Down begins
  • Sept 25th - FGL Game Jam #32 Begins using the Final Theme!
  • Sept 28th - FGL Game Jam #32 Ends & Judging Begins!
  • Oct 2nd - Judging Ends & Winners Announced
  • Prizes & Badges will be delivered shortly
  • Oct 5th - Theme Brainstorming for Game Jam #33 Begins!

Game Jam #32 Start/End:

Start: Sept 25th @ 3pm pacific - Sept 28th @ 3pm pacific :End

Game Jam #32 Theme:

Minimalism

Contest Rules: (Please follow the rules to avoid being disqualified!)

• Entry must remain anonymous until after judging
  • Create a game between the Start/End times
  • Entry must be Enhanced™ (takes ~1 min)
  • APK or IPA must be uploaded to fgl.com
  • The theme must be central to the game
  • DO NOT request approval for your entry until after judging (and your game) is complete; You are unlikely to sell licenses to a prototype in the Bidding Marketplace, so there is no benefit to being approved until the game is complete.

How to Enter:

All participants must upload their entries to fgl and send a link privately to FGL_Aaron or through the ticket system. Any game entered or altered after the deadline will be disqualified!

Judging:

• Judging will be split between fgl staff and YOU! We'll play/record the mobile games and then add videos to the poll.
    • Judging begins shortly after the jam ends. Follow us on Twitter(@FGL_Team) or here to get notified!
  • Winners will be announced once Judging is complete
  • Prizes are usually awarded shortly after the winners are announced
  • fgl Admins may participate in the jam, but will be bypassed when awarding prizes

Prizes:

1st Place - Tricky Line by Zaksoid (score: 4.16)

• $100 Sent via Paypal
  • Live interview on Enhance™ LIVE!
  • Community Spotlight Interview about your studio/process/whatever!
  • Mention in the Developer Newsletter
  • Game Jam Profile Badge
  • 500 fgl community points
  • 15 First Impression credits

2nd Place - 3By3 by Bryce (score: 3.68)

• $30 Sent via Paypal
  • Game Jam Profile Badge
  • 250 fgl community points
  • 10 First Impression credits

3rd Place - The Earth is attacked by tosters (score: 3.16)

• $20 Sent via Paypal
  • Game Jam Profile Badge
  • 150 fgl community points
  • 5 First Impression credits

All participants who upload an entry

• 50 fgl community points

Need Help? Post here or Contact us!

Did you miss Game Jam #31? Check out the entries!

posted 2015-09-09T23:28:09-07:00 | edited 2015-10-06T18:06:53-07:00
FGL_Aaron

1060 posts

This jam starts tomorrow! Have you picked your favorite theme and ARE YOU READY FOR MOBILE?!

Let us know if you need any help before we start!

posted 2015-09-24T19:33:20-07:00
FGL_Aaron

1060 posts

Are you jammin' yet? With a theme like Minimalism, I'm excited to see what you come up with!

Good luck everyone and please be sure to ask for help if you're struggling with getting your game working on mobile! I'll be checking in all weekend, am available on Skype, emails, and we'll also have people in chat and on the forums for more technical help.

Good luck everyone!

posted 2015-09-25T23:16:13-07:00
Bryce

Market Level 5Community Level 5
375 posts

How's everyone's submissions coming? I just submitted mine :)!

I'm hoping the turnout is as good as or better than the last jam -- looking forward to seeing the videos of all the entries!

posted 2015-09-27T20:49:16-07:00
petipois25

Market Level 0Community Level 0
4 posts

First FGL Jam - I've just submitted mine. :D 

posted 2015-09-27T21:07:16-07:00
Turrican

Market Level 0Community Level 5
692 posts

petipois25 said:

First FGL Jam - I've just submitted mine. :D 

Like me. :)

posted 2015-09-27T22:27:12-07:00
nilsf

Market Level 0Community Level 1
5 posts

Hi everybody!

It's also my first entry. Laughing

Quick question about Enhance; if we implement interstitial ads, which is more probable:

• "Awesome, he used our API: more points!"
  • "Ah man ads sucks: less points!"

Anyway, good luck to all and thank god you're only judging the game and not the source code.Embarassed

posted 2015-09-28T14:11:56-07:00
FGL_Brian

FGL AdminCommunity Level 3
108 posts

No one's going to penalize you for having ads in your mobile game, nilsf Laughing  Enhance away!

nilsf said:

Hi everybody!

It's also my first entry. Laughing

Quick question about Enhance; if we implement interstitial ads, which is more probable:

• "Awesome, he used our API: more points!"
  • "Ah man ads sucks: less points!"

Anyway, good luck to all and thank god you're only judging the game and not the source code.Embarassed

posted 2015-09-28T14:17:17-07:00
FGL_Aaron

1060 posts

@ nilsf (and all the other newcomers) - Welcome to FGL! Laughing

Honestly... I think that all depends upon how you implement the ads. Technically, we don't award bonus points for adding interstitial... but then we're not the only vote that counts. If you were to do something really cool with the interstitials as part of the core gameplay in a fun/interesting way, for example, you might earn votes from both the admins and the rest of the voters ( YOU! Smile )

On the other hand, if you have a game with really short level cycles and are calling an ad at the end of every level, it might annoy the viewers enough to vote the game down. So it might be better to leave it out, unless you have a cool idea you want to play around with.

posted 2015-09-28T16:08:41-07:00
nilsf

Market Level 0Community Level 1
5 posts

Thanks for the answers. :)

I'm having trouble adding the game to FGL, when I get to the upload apk page, there's no button to choose a file and the message "Error #2048" appears on top of what looks like a progress bar maybe.

:(

posted 2015-09-28T19:57:30-07:00
FGL_Aaron

1060 posts

Oh no! It seems you've run into an old and rare upload bug that only seems to affect a small portion of our community.

The easiest way around this would be to try using a different browser or computer (it seems to be due to browser/plugin conflicts). If that doesn't work you can email the apk directly to me at aaron@fgl.com or share a link to it in Dropbox or something and I can upload it for you.

Please let me know if you have any further trouble!

posted 2015-09-28T20:22:14-07:00
FGL_Aaron

1060 posts

Congratulations on everyone who got their games in before the deadline! Game Jam #32 is now closed to new entries and the videos will go live tonight to start judging.

Be sure to check back and good luck to everyone! Laughing

posted 2015-09-28T22:02:23-07:00
Bryce

Market Level 5Community Level 5
375 posts

I can't wait to see what everyone came up with! It will be interesting to see how everyone interpreted the theme.

I know for me personally there were a lot of ideas that came to mind and potentially many ways to interpret it -- I ended up going with the simplest to implement for me(we did only have 3 days after all!).

Some ideas/concepts that I threw around for awhile while brainstorming for this jam(I'm intentionally leaving out the one that made it in to my final entry, to preserve anonymity):

Negative Space Flood Fill Game

Originally I really wanted to do something with negative space(like the popular vase & two heads optical illusion). I thought about a game where you have a black&white image and can tap on a white area to fill it with black(and vice versa: black for white). And you'd have to get the entire image as one color in the minimum number of taps. For example, the vase and head illusion could be changed to one color in one tap by tapping the vase(the winning case) -- or in two taps by tapping each head(not the minimum number of taps -- the fail case). Obviously I'd need more complicated-shaped levels or some additional mechanic to keep it interesting(and this is what eventually made me stray away from the idea -- not enough time to fully think about it).

Minimal Idle Game

I then started thinking about idle games(they seem to be trending right now), and how the simple mechanic of just incrementing a number is pretty minimalist in itself... I thought of a game in which you start with just an apple onscreen, when you tap the apple it takes a bite of it. Eventually after so many taps you get an apple core. Tap it again and you plant an apple tree. Then you have to keep tapping and it will grow, produce more apples, and the process would repeat... The game would intentionally have no instructions and minimal graphics. I decided against this idea because it didn't sound particularly fun -- even basic idle games have some kind of choice involved -- which my initial vision for this game lacked. I thought that if I were to add upgrades or some kind of branching paths the game would soon take up too much time to be done in 3 days.

posted 2015-09-28T22:57:49-07:00 | edited 2015-09-28T23:25:08-07:00
Cobrex

Market Level 0Community Level 2
30 posts

Very interesting theme!  I'm missed this jam (

Good Luck to all participants! :)

posted 2015-09-29T05:41:41-07:00
mirda

6 posts

Where can I see official participants? Is it somewwhere officially announced?

Where can I vote?

I checked FGL Youtube playlist for this Jam but my game is not listed yet!

I also did not get any answer from FGL_Aaron after my submission?

posted 2015-09-29T07:06:30-07:00
harsamcreative

Market Level 0Community Level 2
65 posts

goodluck to all entries

posted 2015-09-29T08:23:04-07:00 | edited 2015-09-29T08:29:10-07:00
FGL_Aaron

1060 posts

BONUS PRIZE! - This just in: We've decided to offer a bonus prize to the 1st place winner of this jam!

Winner of Game Jam #32 is invited to do a live interview on Enhance™ Live!

@ Bryce - I had a lot of fun playing all of the entries and look forward to leaving feedback for everyone (sometime this week)! 

Negative Space Flood Fill Game - Interesting concept! Could make a really fun 'fill inside the line' style game with cool visuals/optical illusions. Basically make an outline of the vase example, break it up by drawing wavy horizontal lines, then prompt the player to fill in the blanks to find the faces or the vase.

Minimal Idle Game - Hehe, I love the general idea of this game, but definitely agree it'd be tricky to pull off. I actually made a similar prototype using Dandelions in place of Apples, heh. Your idea could actually be executed really well, but would require some awesome art/upgrades to keep the player engaged. Consider that apples fade over time and turn into trees, but only within the radius of their fallen fruit (without external support). So it could literally be a game about populating the land with trees or turn it into a time management game of growing/harvesting your fruit. Lots of places to run with this concept!

Cobrex - Sorry you missed it this time around. Hope to see you next time! Smile

@ mirda - The judging poll is the list of official participants. Unfortunately we had two entries (including yours) that did not work upon testing. By the time this was discovered, it was well after the deadline and could not be resolved in time, so they had to be left out of the vote!

However, if you would like to get a working version to me, I'd be happy to make a video and leave feedback for yours as well. Smile

@ harsamcreative - Good luck with yours as well!

posted 2015-09-29T14:43:12-07:00 | edited 2015-09-29T14:45:41-07:00
Turrican

692 posts

My game is not listed too, so didn't it work? My game is running ok on my phone. Wich problem did you have?

posted 2015-09-29T16:40:23-07:00
mirda

6 posts

Interesting! My game also work fine on my side.

I guess this Enhance thing messed my game. Oh, well...nevermind then. Better luck next time.

It would be OK to answer my PM after submission then. I was in blind dark of not knowing what is going on with my entry. You always take so long to respond :/

posted 2015-09-29T17:14:02-07:00 | edited 2015-09-29T17:15:43-07:00
Turrican

692 posts

This!!!

Some answer would be good.

It was a bit frustrating to not see our game listed and no answer at all!!!

If Enhance was the cause...worse.

posted 2015-09-29T18:10:08-07:00 | edited 2015-09-29T18:11:07-07:00