Status of Unity games on FGL after the chrome problem ?

6 posts (showing 1-6)
DTek

Market Level 4Community Level 4
281 posts

One of our long term clients ( 6 years ) which was working with us on Unity games for the past 6 months has started requesting switching back to flash games with mobile ports last night. He said WebGL is quite unstable and Unity games would be a waste, as he has felt a 50% views loss since Chrome has made the change.

I'm sincerely curious if FGL has felt the difference, and what is the sponsor's perspective regarding the matter.

posted 2015-06-02T05:20:44-07:00
FGL_John

FGL AdminCommunity Level 3
230 posts

I can't speak for all sponsors, but some have dropped publishing Unity browser games altogether. The WebGL 'magic' that was promised was not delivered either so a lot of pubs just don't want to be bothered with it.

As to to FGL, I've seen anecdotal trends that show that Unity browser games are indeed taking a hit. Unity was building some steam (especially cross platform licenses) but since the Chrome cutoff, that momentum is lost. Flash for web with mobile versions is still pulling in the most interest.

posted 2015-06-02T14:08:02-07:00
DTek

Market Level 4Community Level 4
281 posts

That's extremely unfortunate. 
So in order to keep developing with Unity, one would have to focus on mobile alltogether ? or is there any chance of WebGL sponsoring ?

posted 2015-06-02T16:24:31-07:00
lvian

Market Level 0Community Level 0
17 posts

I have been using unity for quite some time, but only recently decided to try to sell here at fgl, so pretty much I feel really confident about developing using unity but that chrome change pretty much made it impossible to sell unity web games. Not sure what to do now, exporting to webgl would be easy but publishers aren't looking for those either, so pretty much we would have to develop only for mobile or try some different tool like HaxeFlixel.

any thoughts ?

posted 2015-06-02T17:02:26-07:00
FGL_John

FGL AdminCommunity Level 3
230 posts

Only going by what I've heard from developers, but the WebGL ports are stunningly awful. Unity seems, at this point, content with focusing on mobile and download dev markets.

Most publishers are indeed wary of licensing html5 games (with the exception of sitelocks), but TBH it's because the average html5 game is mediocre at best.

posted 2015-06-02T17:43:30-07:00
onurdemir

Market Level 1Community Level 2
74 posts

thats not a good news i wish they find a solution like improving WebGL performance or find another way.

posted 2015-06-02T20:19:01-07:00