How to monetize HTML5 games

9 posts (showing 1-9)
Shantanu_kulkarni

Market Level 0Community Level 0
10 posts

Hello everyone, I am new to FGL and its HTML5 model. I am making small HTML5 games and I want to know how can I monetize my games through FGL? 

I know basic sponsorship model of Flash ie you put your game then sponsors will bid on your game and then you place their branding and thats all. 

Is it same for HTML5 games or is it different? I read that FGL was paying $200 for implementing their api and then the developers will get paid through add revenue. But now they have stopped supporting it. 

How much do you earn monthly only through HTML5 games? and how much an average game like candy match 3 can earn?

Thanks.

posted 2015-02-12T14:12:43-08:00
FGL_Rozek

FGL AdminCommunity Level 5
471 posts

While I can not tell you how much to sell your game for I can chime in a little.

HTML5 games seem to perform differently in our marketplace than flash games do.

We have found most sales come out of our GameShop.    

The $200 promotion was great for helping us gather games so that we could release our HTML5 Exclusive GameShop. 

Basically in regards to the marketplace,:

1. You can set your game to bidding, but we suggest that you do not.  

2: You can place your game in our traditional GameShop

3. You can implement our api and have your game sold in our HTML5 Exclusive Game Shop.  (fgl.com/html5)

If you have any questions on how to go about doing any of these things or if you are looking for feedback for your game, please reach out to a review admin and we can be sure to help you out.

-Best of luck

posted 2015-02-12T14:25:20-08:00 | edited 2015-02-12T14:25:43-08:00
Shantanu_kulkarni

Market Level 0Community Level 0
10 posts

Hi Rozek

Thanks for replying. Why do you not suggest putting the game up for bidding? I found that sponsorship model of flash is very good and hassle free. You put your game and get paid instantly where as in ads model you have to wait for a long time to get those ad revenue to accumulate (Sorry if I am wrong). 

Whats the difference between 2) and 3) ? 3) will definitely produce more income than that of 2). 

I was reading forums and many devs were mentioning that HTML5 games were great in 2013-14 but now they dont generate enough revenue compared to flash. Is it true? 

I am a small developer and I am looking for getting $300-$400 for a 1 week game. Do you think is it worth going for HTML5 or flash is good enough for this? 

posted 2015-02-12T14:40:23-08:00 | edited 2015-02-12T14:41:51-08:00
FGL_Rozek

471 posts

Yes the bidding marketplace does work well for flash games.  It seems that HTML5 games see more sitelock sales than bidding.  You may (may) make less initially on a sale, but you are also selling the game multiple times to different buyers and publishers possibly making more than you would with just 1 decent accepted bid.

The difference between 2 & 3 is how your game is distributed.  Besides being in our HTML5 Exlcusive Game Shop, it allows buyers and publishers a more hassle free way to get your games in their system.

Both are great options for selling the game.

Again, I can't comment on pricing.  The market is constantly shifting as is the quality of games.

Good Luck.

posted 2015-02-12T14:59:20-08:00
sandeep410

Market Level 1Community Level 3
180 posts

Shantanu_kulkarni said:

Hi Rozek

Thanks for replying. Why do you not suggest putting the game up for bidding? I found that sponsorship model of flash is very good and hassle free. You put your game and get paid instantly where as in ads model you have to wait for a long time to get those ad revenue to accumulate (Sorry if I am wrong). 

Whats the difference between 2) and 3) ? 3) will definitely produce more income than that of 2). 

I was reading forums and many devs were mentioning that HTML5 games were great in 2013-14 but now they dont generate enough revenue compared to flash. Is it true? 

I am a small developer and I am looking for getting $300-$400 for a 1 week game. Do you think is it worth going for HTML5 or flash is good enough for this? 

You would no longer get 300-400$ for 1 week game. You need high quality games and it will take more than a week to make.

posted 2015-02-12T17:37:54-08:00
b10b

Market Level 4Community Level 7
970 posts

FGL_Rozek, if we do list a game on the bidding section, should we delay on submitting it to the HTML5 shop?

I was thinking of submitting a game for bidding for a week or two (accepting it is unlikely to gain interest), then BIN / last call for 48 hours, then gameshop and HTML5 gameshop simultaneously.

Or would you prefer we just skip the bidding section entirely?  Thanks.

posted 2015-02-12T19:51:57-08:00
FGL_Rozek

471 posts

Absolutely. I would strongly urge you to go straight for the traditional game shop before bidding.

If you are planning on submitting your game to the HTML5 game shop, I would do that first.

After it has passed QA with that dept, we can look at getting it setup on our traditional game shop.

posted 2015-02-12T19:57:27-08:00
b10b

Market Level 4Community Level 7
970 posts

Thanks.  If I wanted to list the game as a mobile game too (HTML5, Android, iOS) would the same advice hold true?

posted 2015-02-13T04:29:25-08:00
FGL_Rozek

471 posts

Ahhh.  Now that is a little different.

Continue on the same path for your HTML5 title, nothing changes there.

For the mobile version, you should make a separate listing.  Mobile only.  Just add to the listing title [MOBILE].  The mobile version of the game (provided it is unreleased) can/should be set to our bidding marketplace.  

As for the html5 listing, add [HTML5]

posted 2015-02-13T14:47:42-08:00