New HTML5 game shop

64 posts (showing 1-20)
Smrdis

Market Level 5Community Level 1
32 posts

I do not know anyone who have profit from new fgl shop (except $200). Auto non exclusive sales is good idea, but seems like it is not working yet. 

Does anyone have any good experience with that?

posted 2014-12-26T14:36:54-08:00
sandeep410

Market Level 1Community Level 3
180 posts

Whole thing was doomed to fail from the begining. Only thing it achevived is make ppl spam low quality games to make quick 200$ bucks which is why it got discontinued.

Also whats point of fgl API. Even if some sponsor likes your game in gameshop(highly unlikely), they will require us to remove fgls API and implement their own Annoying API and ads. So wat was the point of impelemtning fgl API.

Also why the hell would any sponsor be interested in buying game with developers own adsUndecided

I am wondering whether fgl actually knows how HTML5 sponsorship works and difference between flash and html5 sponsorship

posted 2014-12-26T15:08:54-08:00
pinoygamegeek

Market Level 4Community Level 4
366 posts

On Dec 26, 2014, sandeep410 said:

Also why the hell would any sponsor be interested in buying game with developers own adsUndecided

In my understanding, when the sponsor buys a game from the game shop, ads are disabled. Ads are enabled only in certain markets like Amazon etc.

posted 2014-12-28T07:06:49-08:00
VaragtP

Market Level 5Community Level 6
814 posts

I am also interested in this, can anyone share their experience? Is there any stats etc?

posted 2015-01-05T20:01:41-08:00
ozdy

Market Level 6Community Level 13
1482 posts

I can't say I had much success with the old GameShop either (1 sale in 1 year).

posted 2015-01-06T15:34:26-08:00
JoStriker

Market Level 0Community Level 0
1 posts

I am new but if I understand right posting your game to the GameShop is just a place where you may be able to make some ad money while waiting for a sponser for your game? Or did I understand incorrectly?

posted 2015-01-07T06:41:28-08:00
FGL_Aaron

FGL AdminCommunity Level 7
1060 posts

Whole thing was doomed to fail from the begining. Only thing it achevived is make ppl spam low quality games to make quick 200$ bucks which is why it got discontinued.

~ sandeep410 

The $200 offer got discontinued because it did the job that it was intended to do; provided us with a base library of HTML5 games that we can now use to learn more about the marketplaces and experiment with new ways to monetize them. Once we have a chance to learn more we may be bringing this offer back and we would not be saying as much if the whole thing was doomed to fail.

Also whats point of fgl API. Even if some sponsor likes your game in gameshop(highly unlikely), they will require us to remove fgls API and implement their own Annoying API and ads. So wat was the point of impelemtning fgl API.

~ sandeep410 

The point of the FGL API is so that we can automatically brand the games for the purchasing sponsors and ultimately to allow them to plug in their annoying APIs so that devs can passively (and instantly) earn revenue with no additional work. 

I am wondering whether fgl actually knows how HTML5 sponsorship works and difference between flash and html5 sponsorship

~ sandeep410 

We do indeed understand how HTML5 sponsorship works and we're working to learn more and find new ways to make it even better. It's really proving to be a difficult market to monetize, but we're hoping to find a way to make it (and other techs) sustainable for all serious developers.

I can't say I had much success with the old GameShop either (1 sale in 1 year).

~ Ozdy

It is important to know that we're actively pushing all HTML5 buyers to the HTML5 GameShop rather than the old one. So if you're only posting your games in the old GameShop there's a good chance they'll get missed by most HTML5 shoppers!

I am new but if I understand right posting your game to the GameShop is just a place where you may be able to make some ad money while waiting for a sponser for your game? Or did I understand incorrectly?

~ JoStriker

I'm afraid that's not correct. The GameShops are actually marketplaces where the publishers (Buyer and Sponsor accounts) can make offers to purchase non-exclusive licenses to your games. This usually takes the form of a site locked version of your game that has the publisher's branding and API added to the game so that they can post it on their portals without adding their competitor's branding/links.

These marketplaces have nothing to do with making money through ads.

posted 2015-01-13T15:21:49-08:00
mentuat

62 posts

It is important to know that we're actively pushing all HTML5 buyers to the HTML5 GameShop rather than the old one. So if you're only posting your games in the old GameShop there's a good chance they'll get missed by most HTML5 shoppers!

Hey Aaron, is there anything in the works for HTML5 devs that aren't sold on the whole FGL API thing?  

I hadn't realised that staff were actively discouraging potential buyers from the old gameshop

posted 2015-01-13T15:47:48-08:00
FGL_Aaron

1060 posts

Hey Aaron, is there anything in the works for HTML5 devs that aren't sold on the whole FGL API thing?  

~ mentuat 

I don't believe we have anything in the works for HTML5 games that don't use the FGL API due to how much control that feature provides us to help with monetizing your games.

I hadn't realised that staff were actively discouraging potential buyers from the old gameshop

~ mentuat 

To be clear, we're not actively discouraging potential buyers from using the old GameShop, we're just not actively promoting that they use it for HTML5 games. Ultimately we are planning on removing the HTML5 portion of the old shop while making it easier to get your games added to the new one.

posted 2015-01-13T16:40:07-08:00
fldr

Market Level 1Community Level 2
77 posts

Hi,

i noticed that the price i can set under reports.fgl.com under gameshop prices doesnt reflect the price thats shown in the gameshop, is there a bug that this gameshop price isnt updated when changed by the developer?

Thanks!

posted 2015-01-13T18:03:27-08:00
FGL_Aaron

1060 posts

Hi,

i noticed that the price i can set under reports.fgl.com under gameshop prices doesnt reflect the price thats shown in the gameshop, is there a bug that this gameshop price isnt updated when changed by the developer?

Thanks!

~ fldr

At the moment I think we need to manually push all changes to the new GameShop, so if you change your GameShop prices, just let me know and I'll push those changes live. 

posted 2015-01-13T18:15:09-08:00
Smrdis

32 posts

Hi Aaron. Could you answer subj question please? 

Old shop works bad for HTML5 games, but it works. Seems like new shop is not working at all. Is it only my experience?

posted 2015-01-13T23:11:08-08:00
ozdy

Market Level 6Community Level 13
1482 posts

On Jan 13, 2015, FGL_Aaron said:

~ mentuat 

I don't believe we have anything in the works for HTML5 games that don't use the FGL API due to how much control that feature provides us to help with monetizing your games.

~ mentuat 

To be clear, we're not actively discouraging potential buyers from using the old GameShop, we're just not actively promoting that they use it for HTML5 games. Ultimately we are planning on removing the HTML5 portion of the old shop while making it easier to get your games added to the new one.

And you are actively not telling the sponsor at all about the old game shop, at least a link in the new one will help.

I am fully with mentuat on this one, I'm not sold on the idea of implementing an API and giving 30% of my sitelock earnings. I much rather stick to the traditional mass e-mailing sponsors.

It's good to know I shouldn't bother with the old gameshop at all now.

posted 2015-01-14T08:24:26-08:00
fldr

77 posts

Hi,

Thanks!

~ fldr

At the moment I think we need to manually push all changes to the new GameShop, so if you change your GameShop prices, just let me know and I'll push those changes live. 

Thanks! i recently updated all games i have in the shop!

posted 2015-01-14T12:30:09-08:00
xmorpher

Market Level 3Community Level 5
538 posts

(HTML5) It's really proving to be a difficult market to monetize, but we're hoping to find a way to make it (and other techs) sustainable for all serious developers.

Maybe that's the problem... Right now you need a publisher if you want to distribute your html5 game with fgl

and there are just a few publishers...Besides, sponsors buy sitelocked versions to remove ads and highlight the ads on their sites (the new shop is oriented to ads)

Right now you're giving all your priority to these 4-5 mobil publishers and you're leaving the developers and old sponsor's interests behind

If you let the developers distribute their own html5 games with fgl Ads (and help them to distribute)

the market would be similar to flash games (a market you already know) then:

- Developers could self-publish their games and make money with ads

- If sponsors want the right to be on the game to be distributed, they would need to buy primary licenses

- If portals want a version with their brand or without ads, then they would need to buy secondary licenses

- The bid system and different license types would make more sense for html5

posted 2015-01-16T09:02:11-08:00 | edited 2015-01-16T09:06:54-08:00
sandeep410

Market Level 1Community Level 3
180 posts

xmorpher said:

(HTML5) It's really proving to be a difficult market to monetize, but we're hoping to find a way to make it (and other techs) sustainable for all serious developers.

Maybe that's the problem... Right now you need a publisher if you want to distribute your html5 game with fgl

and there are just a few publishers...Besides, sponsors buy sitelocked versions to remove ads and highlight the ads on their sites (the new shop is oriented to ads)

Right now you're giving all your priority to these 4-5 mobil publishers and you're leaving the developers and old sponsor's interests behind

If you let the developers distribute their own html5 games with fgl Ads (and help them to distribute)

the market would be similar to flash games (a market you already know) then:

- Developers could self-publish their games and make money with ads

- If sponsors want the right to be on the game to be distributed, they would need to buy primary licenses

- If portals want a version with their brand or without ads, then they would need to buy secondary licenses

- The bid system and different license types would make more sense for html5

Dude you make no money from ads in html5. What works in flash doesnt work in html5. So self publishing game with ads wont even make u 10$

posted 2015-01-16T10:55:47-08:00
renfd

75 posts

sandeep410 said:

Dude you make no money from ads in html5. What works in flash doesnt work in html5. So self publishing game with ads wont even make u 10$

Well, True Valhalla made almost $800  with HTML5 ad revenue last month acordly with his last income report. So I think "htm5 make no money with ads" is a myth like "html5 doesn't spread".

Most things FGL are doing with HTML5 is experimental. HTML5 gaming is relatively new. So is very early to say what works or not. 

posted 2015-01-16T12:58:56-08:00
SoulStudio

Market Level 2Community Level 2
145 posts

To make money from ads you need to have a global hit.

True Valhalla claims that he earns 800$ from 1.5 million gameplays/month.

It is very, very hard to make your game(s), flash or html5 to be played 1 million times.

Most of the time you will earn 1-2 $ lifetime per game from ads.

posted 2015-01-16T13:24:16-08:00
fldr

77 posts

SoulStudio said:

To make money from ads you need to have a global hit.

True Valhalla claims that he earns 800$ from 1.5 million gameplays/month.

It is very, very hard to make your game(s), flash or html5 to be played 1 million times.

Most of the time you will earn 1-2 $ lifetime per game from ads.

i have three small (wrapped with cordova) html5 games released to playstore for testing the waters and they made 8,26€ so far with 2387 ad impressions, from that are 1033 fullscreen ads which made 6,97€ of the total income.

posted 2015-01-16T14:16:22-08:00
SoulStudio

Market Level 2Community Level 2
145 posts

What's your google play account? Admob with Construct 2? Be careful with admob. Google is known to ban accounts and don't pay.

I've put one game to google play and got only 7 installs in 6 month. I was not doing any promo at all.:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paala.ufodefender

posted 2015-01-16T14:57:37-08:00