Life After Google Play Suspension

13 posts (showing 1-13)
keyeske

Market Level 1Community Level 1
53 posts

Well its was only a matter of time before I make this post. This year has been hell...

All 341 of our apps are done, kaput, gone, obliterated, removed from Google Play. Reason was too many violations. No 7 day warnings, no information to fix, just do not pass go, you are suspended.

No care for what happens and just ruined my life, but my wife and I have to move on. We tried to contact and all that but all our appeals were rejected, so we are done with Google Play. We sold our Android tablets and didn't look back. We have family members (parents) that were lucky to help us out for a few months until we get back on our feet, otherwise we would be homeless and hungry right now.

My wife made a post on reddit and maaaan those people are heartless. We aren't spammers, we are honest working people that have done things by the book. 3 years of developing for Google Play, we were soo stupid. We dropped making flash games due to the slump there in 2011.

After a few weeks and joining the Google Mobile Developers panel, I noticed that we werent the only ones that have been removed with little to no explanation. People are scared of getting removed and they should be. I will NEVER trust or partner with GOOGLE ever again.

I think some of the ad networks are causing issues for people who are getting warnings (we never got warnings), so if you get warnings or removals, here is the list of ad networks I was using:

Heyzap

DirectAd

LeadBolt

RevMob

AdBuddiz

Admob (via Milkman's ANE)

Now I had updated 135 of all my free apps after asking them all if their sdks were up to date with google's ad ID policy, and they all said they were. Now my account is suspended. One of my games were removed for ad policy (no more info from Google other than that) and a few days later we were removed.

We have apps on Amazon and Nook, but the revenue from these places have dwindled in 2014 to next to nothing...

I would like to know if anyone has any tips or other information, anything would help. Not really fond of getting a job working in food service or retail as they don't pay as much as what I earn right now online (which isn't enough to sustain where I live). There are no good jobs in my area (Maryland) and we are pretty much broke to find somewhere out of state.

Right now we are just selling hand-drawn art on eBay and hoping we find some other solutions as Admob has removed ads on our games due to google play suspension, even though nothing was wrong on their end that they could see. Everything is automated so they don't know.

I am hoping we can survive this just like we survived when Mochi had dropped in ecpms in 2009.

posted 2014-11-27T14:15:45-08:00
TubeMice

Market Level 2Community Level 2
126 posts

Oh man this is sooo sad, I don't know what to say, just feel sorry about you

but, I read your post twice and didn't found any details about why your account been killed by Google, the only reason is about too much violations?

What kind of violations, too much copy-cat games, or just copy-right offense? Or you made content forbidden by Google, you mentioned ad network could be the cause, is it because you put too much ads in one game?

I can understand how sad it is to be, but sure there should be something we can share and learn

posted 2014-11-27T15:29:44-08:00
keyeske

53 posts

The account strikes I kept receiving were maturity ratings which spanned from 2013 to October 2014. My apps were changed from everyone to medium maturity. If you look up magisoft on Amazon and nook, you can see the kind of games we make, which were the same games that were on Google play. Nothing to do with copyrights no duplicate violations, nothing with spam. The game that was removed was a dress-up game made in 2011 and had over 500k downloads. i had a removal in 2013 for a game that was unpublished when they updated their terms. When I asked someone from Adsense, she told me that she asked Google play for the reason and they told her the same thing, but she said it was for the free apps.

we had our own ad rotation of different networks so they would not show at the same time. the apps made in eclipse only has admob, which Adsense keeps removing ads from. Just got another email today about another one. They have the latest Google play services sdk to show admob ads.

just know to not be as stupid as I was and have backups even when the income is 50k to 100k a year.

posted 2014-11-27T16:22:18-08:00 | edited 2014-11-27T16:23:23-08:00
b10b

Market Level 4Community Level 7
970 posts

Thanks for sharing, I've read the OP and the reddit thread to date.  Within it are some useful comments for anyone considering ad revenue from Google Play as a primary income source - i.e. reconsider!

I too learnt long ago that third party ad affiliation revenue is icing on the cake, not cake.

Think of it this way ... irrespective of claims of quality, spam, breach of terms, maturity etc ... why would Google want a game that makes them no money to continue to cost them money?  If we can't answer that, then it should be no surprise it got pulled.  Whereas if we make our partners money, the relationship will continue.

@keyeske, you guys have great illustration skills, you'll get back on your feet and be stronger for it.  Good luck.

posted 2014-11-27T18:02:06-08:00
Archbob

Market Level 7Community Level 10
1164 posts

Does googleplay not allow adult games, is that it? There are plenty of those sleezy apps on the store. Seems unreasonable. Did you just put the wrong maturity rating or something? Or was it trouble with one of the ad networks.

posted 2014-11-27T19:45:23-08:00 | edited 2014-11-27T19:46:32-08:00
Andromedus

Market Level 7Community Level 5
564 posts

Fix the problems with your games, set up a new company and resubmit them.  

posted 2014-12-07T10:03:00-08:00
FGL_Dave

FGL AdminCommunity Level 4
285 posts

Potentially one of your ad networks was showing adult content. Be sure to test your ads thoroughly and know what you're advertising in your games. This is another good reason to go through an intermediary publisher (like FGL or one of our mobile platform publishing partners) - we deal with this kind of thing so that the developer doesn't have to.

posted 2014-12-08T05:17:41-08:00 | edited 2014-12-08T05:18:52-08:00
TubeMice

126 posts

FGL_Dave said:

Potentially one of your ad networks was showing adult content. Be sure to test your ads thoroughly and know what you're advertising in your games. This is another good reason to go through an intermediary publisher (like FGL or one of our mobile platform publishing partners) - we deal with this kind of thing so that the developer doesn't have to.

Previously I tried to use FGL mobile network, and there is a multi-ad network solution called Adsorb, but it didn't work at that time, does it work now?

posted 2014-12-08T08:02:24-08:00
FGL_Dave

FGL AdminCommunity Level 4
285 posts

Adsorb is indeed in full swing for both html5 and mobile Android games.

posted 2014-12-08T18:23:33-08:00
keyeske

53 posts

On Dec 08, 2014, FGL_Dave said:

Thanks. I don't think we are going to use Google anymore. Too many hoops due to the popularity of the platform and I don't agree with how they treat developers/publishers that contribute apps to Google Play. I have said my peace and so have many other developers on the Google Admob/Adsense mobile panel, and have began to move on. We have apps on Apple and Amazon and have made new apps since then. We are in this for the long haul and have our family's support, which is why we are going back to developing games for multiple platforms instead of mobile. We have made much more selling apps than the free route for all the 3 years of developing for mobile, so it was better off to leave that path alone no matter how difficult it is to sell to the public.

Maybe we will just sell our works on FGL and the publisher can figure out which way they will go with it. Who knows. Nothing is etched in stone, so we may consider it down the road.

posted 2014-12-19T01:17:14-08:00
SoulStudio

145 posts

Let me see If I get this correctly:

You got 50.000-100.000$/year from your 341 apps. and now they all got banned?

Well this is not very dramatic if you got the money. You can resubmit the apps under a new account. It costs 25$ to open a new one.

I saw your itunes account. If full of games priced at 9.99$ games that have RPG in title even if they don't seam like a RPG game.

Did you made any sales on iOS?

posted 2014-12-19T12:49:54-08:00
ozdy

Market Level 6Community Level 13
1482 posts

I don't understand this either, it costs you nothing to open a new account. And Apple and Amazon are like 10 times harder to make money using your approach IMO.

posted 2014-12-22T07:54:07-08:00
newappso

Market Level 0Community Level 0
1 posts

You still have hope man. you need to be a totally new person. different email, different credit card, different ip(no Proxies) new domains or new laptop,or desktop if you are using andriod studio or eclipse. new name or company name. different app names, different photos. when i say everthing has to be different EVERYTHING. it will take alot of work getting back were you were but it will be well worth it. or you can also go the apple route and create ios apps.

posted 2015-06-18T03:54:04-07:00