OK, let's do it.. Sonic Highways thread

22 posts (showing 1-20)
JHII

Market Level 5Community Level 6
716 posts

OK, first, disclaimer, I love the Foo Fighters. I know at least two commentators on this board love the foos as well (Chris and Dave). That being said, open examination is needed. Well, maybe not 'needed', but still...

My thoughts on Episode 1:

- Taylor Hawkins saying he doesn't care about the blues knocked him down about 4 pegs in my book.
- Now that I think about it, Taylor said a few things that knock him down more pegs
- A show, about music.. in Chicago. No B.B. King, but some young teen punk band. Yeah, that's some bullshit.
- Steve Albini. When is this lying snake charmer  going to go away?
- Buddy Guy is awesome, but everyone should already know that.
- Muddy Waters is the father of electric blues. Everyone should definitely know that.
- The FF song at the end almost made up for all the abysmal interviews by Grohl. Actually using quotes and scenarios from said interviews in a super clever ways was surprising.

I still have hope for this show as they will travel to a lot of places, but the self indulgence that made Sound City so endearing has so far just felt like run-of-the-mill self indulgence. 

posted 2014-10-19T05:39:12-07:00
JHII

716 posts

As an aside (and an add-on to the Neve worship of Sound City), I've had some limited experience with Neotek consoles. 

They rock.

posted 2014-10-19T05:43:14-07:00 | edited 2014-10-20T00:27:44-07:00
Ultima2876

Market Level 4Community Level 10
2409 posts

Still have to get around to watching this. Will report back when I do!

posted 2014-10-19T15:38:49-07:00
The Tao of Chris

Market Level 0Community Level 3
249 posts

Ok, so yes. Huge Foo fan. (Albums 4 & 5, not so much)

Wasting Light was an awesome documentary. Captured a little of being in a band and being in a studio too. Totally bad ass imo. It got me super pumped for that record.

Sound city was inspiring too. I wanted to record and play. There were points missed and roads not taken but for what it's worth, great doc.

Sonic highways.....

I pretty much agree with john.

Where was the song writing? The process? Exploring the city? Nada.

I will still watch every episode. The song was damn amazing. Not a Chicago sound at all, but awesome.

I haven't listened to the other tracks yet because I want the show to take me there.

Foo's rock.

posted 2014-10-21T01:59:37-07:00
JHII

716 posts

EP. 2

Even worse than ep. 1. That could partially be perspective though, I'm not a fan, at all, of punk music.

Plus, punks in a drum circle? wtf?

posted 2014-10-27T23:21:05-07:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

Episode 2 had me only because I dig old dc punk. I actually own scream and minor threat albums. Not a fan of bad brains.

posted 2014-10-28T03:40:54-07:00
JHII

716 posts

OK, maybe it's just the proud southern child within me.. the belief that true, soul wrenching music comes from either the southern states of the US or England when they rip off the US southern state's music. (this conversation played out in a drunken cab ride a few years ago in San Francisco with one of you devs, btw, you did a mighty fine inebriated version of "Ring of Fire")

Anyway, the last two episodes have spoken to me. Also enlightened me. Sure I knew Willie Nelson moved out of Nashville to re-start in Austin.. as did Waylon Jennings. Did I know that Psychedelic music started in Austin only to be transplanted in to San Fran via an Austin band? nope. Did I know that ZZ Top was a Psychedelic band when they started? nope.

I also knew Zac Brown could write a song, but that good of a guitarist.. and that cool of a studio? damn.. just, damn.

Glad there was great mentions of SRV as well. It's hard to remember just how good he was sometimes.

Amazing interviews with Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Tony Joe White, Zac Brown, Steve Earle, Gary Clarke Jr., Tony Brown.. especially Tony Brown. I've been lucky enough to meet him. Saw him give a speech on music and the music industry when I was in college and had a chance to talk to him briefly afterwards. I already knew I was going to NY but asked him what it would take to break in the Nashville scene (options open and all of that). He told me, "son, if you can sing or play whatever is put in front of you, you can have a job today. If you want anything beyond that, you probably need a few years."

"And you need blind faith
No false hope"

Indeed 

posted 2014-11-08T09:07:22-08:00
Ultima2876

2409 posts

Damn, I essentially gave up half way through episode 2. I better catch up.

posted 2014-11-09T01:55:28-08:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

You absolutely need to catch back up.

The SRV stuff struck a chord with me.  That performance was actually the first time I had seen him and the show.  I think I've watched the performance of crossfire 200000 times.  First time (after picking up a guitar) I had ever seen someone really play a guitar.  I mean PLAY a guitar.

The Nashville episode had its ups and downs.  It had its parts where it was inspiring, and then it crushed you a little talking about the machine Nashville was.  I guess thats why I liked the Austin episode so much.  One episode of how to fit in the box, one episode about how the box is bullshit.

posted 2014-11-10T15:10:11-08:00
JHII

716 posts

I didn't mind the 'machine' stuff really. I like how the Black Keys guy said it, basically; if you're in the business of music to make money, the smart play is to get the best songwriter, the best singer, the best drummer, the best guitarist, etc. It's all about the product and making money with that product. Consistently making hits isn't easy and usually takes a team.

Not to mention, it's not like the Foo Fighters are a democracy. In a way they use an internalized form of this same 'machine'.

posted 2014-11-10T19:08:20-08:00
JHII

716 posts

The LA episode has me seriously considering just to stop watching this mess.

In LA, but talk about bands, places and gain inspiration from places that aren't LA.

posted 2014-11-18T06:03:06-08:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

Yeah, and coming from a fan of punk music, the last episode basically sucked.

Don't get me wrong, there were some cool parts of the show. I especially loved when they were all attempting to jam out in the "live room" at the studio.  That was awesome because it was one of the few times this series has shown the Foo Fighters as an actual band, acting how bands act when writing music.

As far as the selection of interviews, not bad, but lets focus on some of those dudes now.  I don't love the germs, don't hate them either... but an episode about LA and it focuses on the damn Germs?

There are so, so, so, so many avenues they could have taken in LA.  This could have been one of those inspirational episodes like Nashville and Austin, but it failed miserably.

You had Duff and Slash, AND Joan Jett and fail to dive into the Glam & Sleaze Rock scene let alone hair metal?

ugh....

posted 2014-11-18T16:23:34-08:00
JHII

716 posts

I can't believe the roads they didn't take in the LA show. The 60s rock movement, the 70s country/pop movement, the 80s glam/sleaze movement. I mean all of those were super, super important to not only music, but the music the Foo Fighters play.

Also, so many amazing studios in LA, but they chose to pick a studio not in LA.

May as well come to Tampa and talk about Orlando bands and record in Miami. (if you're not familiar with Florida music, those are vastly, vastly different scenes)

I'll sum up.. if you do a show on LA rock music and Kyuss is featured more than GnR, you've screwed it up.

posted 2014-11-20T05:54:39-08:00
JHII

716 posts

OK, theme of the show so far: above the Mason-Dixon, crap. Below? pretty damn good.

Thank God they were in the south again.

posted 2014-11-22T07:16:16-08:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

The last episode was pretty damn good.  I think after watching this episode it was the first time I ever felt like I wanted to go there.  Never before did I care about New Orleans.  I think a vacation is coming.

The songs really have an old Foo sound which I dig.  Not all of them are hits, but I can't wait for the season to be over so I can finally get the album.

posted 2014-11-24T15:23:00-08:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

Loved and Hated the Seattle episode. 

The song was ok....I guess.  There had to be a departure song eventually.  I was just hoping they would go back to their roots of the Foo and really throwback.

What made me mad was that, hey... I thought I already had TONS and TONS of rare Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl recording sessions.  Now I find out there was more.  Damn.  I even found some old Dain Bramage demo's online too.

I don't think they dove deep enough into the scene.  I understand that it was more of a Dave episode, but come on, Nate was in the band that at one point in time were supposed to be the next big thing.  No interview with William Goldsmith? Greg Dulli? They missed it on that one.

What I thought the best part of the episode and worst part of the episode and most humbling part of the episode was to see the drummer for the Screaming Tree's working at an airport retail shop. All be it a SubPop store... still..

posted 2014-12-02T20:16:34-08:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

NYC Episode : Grand Slam.

Bands I like, City I wish I lived in and the story came together quite well.

posted 2014-12-06T13:44:33-08:00
JHII

716 posts

was on vacation, so I missed the last two episodes.. I'll catch up soon.

posted 2014-12-07T02:50:47-08:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

So now that the show is over, I have started listening to the album.

Its amazing how much better the songs are without the context of the shows. (especially the sucky episodes)

Great album on its own, recorded like a beast!

posted 2014-12-15T17:23:55-08:00
Ultima2876

2409 posts

Yup, it's pretty good. Not as keen on it as Wasting Light just yet, that was an instant hit for me, but Foo Fighters albums are usually growers anyway!

posted 2014-12-16T07:38:34-08:00