2014 AES : New Gear

3 posts (showing 1-3)
JHII

Market Level 5Community Level 6
716 posts

OK, so we all know that sadly the AES show is dying a slow, slow death. Believe it or not though, gear is still announced there and for the first time in some years, some of it is cool!

SSL XL-Desk - All analog desk with spaces for 500 series units. Pretty smartly laid out and looks like a nice, smallish footprint. I still feel SSL hasn't really figured out the whole DAW phase of recording though, but they seem to, at least, be getting incrementally closer.

Apogee Ensemble - A serious update to the line. Good amount of I/O including inserts, guitar reamping outputs (!!!!), hardware bypassing of mic-pres.. the list goes on. This thing looks like a serious contender.

iZotope Ozone 6 - A solid 2-buss plug-in gets an upgrade.

IK Multimedia SampleTank 3 - Another upgrade. Looks like a completely new interface and a lot of new sounds. I wonder if this might be the way in to AAX/64bit for owners of the older software (philharmonik, etc)?

Lindell Audio Plug-ins - Pretty cool plug-in bundle (you can buy them separately as well). Not 100% sure about the price though because the hardware 500 series counterparts are not that much more all things considered. Still, I like the way this company thinks. The M/S processing on the EQ or the unity gain feature on the Channel-X are both "why the hell is no one else doing this?" type of stuff.

PreSonus Sceptre monitors - I'll be honest, I don't know if these are new or not, but a few engineers are showcasing them at the PreSonus booth. I've never heard them, but when guys like Dave Pensado and Stephen Marsh throw their endorsement (and more importantly, use) behind something, I'll at least give it a listen.

Let us know if you've heard or seen anything else cool out of the show.

posted 2014-10-09T03:08:04-07:00
Ultima2876

Market Level 4Community Level 10
2410 posts

Ozone 6 is looking pretty sweet, and PreSonus stuff is always very very solid!

Apogee Ensemble, pricey but as with all Apogee stuff I bet you get what you pay for.

posted 2014-10-09T14:37:16-07:00
The Tao of Chris

Market Level 0Community Level 3
249 posts

Im eyeballing the Lindell 500's for my input chain.  I need a little bit of outboard gear and haven't read anything bad about them.

posted 2014-10-09T14:44:40-07:00