Trailer Copyright

7 posts (showing 1-7)
Super Audio Brains

Market Level 0Community Level 0
4 posts

I've seen plenty of peers taking trailers of video games or films they have not worked on, removing the sound and applying there own music or sound design. A great way to show potential customers what they can do. The majority have clearly stated at the beginning of the video that the copyright of the work belongs to the relevant publisher/developer etc (obviously the audio copyright being an exception).

Question 1. Is it copyright infringement to do this, even if it is clearly stated at the beginning of the video that the copyright is not owned by the sound engineer/composer other than the audio elements of the trailer?

Question 2. If yes, Is it seen by potential clients, game developers, as being amateurish baring in mind that the sound engineer has fragrantly ignored copyright law?

I ask this because I would like to do it but certainly not if it is illegal, even if the risks of being sued are small because it would rub of bad on my reputation.

Bare in mind i'm UK based as there may be differences in the laws governing different countries.

posted 2014-08-14T10:03:11-07:00
JHII

Market Level 5Community Level 6
716 posts

Well, if you don't have a license or permission to use it, it's clearly infringement.

1) I would say, yes

2) Good question. I'm not sure how your potential clients would react, but I would assume there would be a little apprehension. The other thing you might want to consider is any backlash from the person/people that made the original audio.

I doubt you'd get sued for something like that, but there could be other repercussions.

Question, why not just make a video game trailer for a game you actually worked on?

posted 2014-08-14T11:07:35-07:00
Super Audio Brains

4 posts

Thanks for the reply. Its early days for me. Although I am working on games none are released, hence no trailers. But I need to improve my showreel hence the questions.

I think I won't bother. It just feels a little unprofessional to me and frankly I would be too wary of getting a bad reputation.

Thanks for your advice.

posted 2014-08-14T14:59:59-07:00
The Tao of Chris

Market Level 0Community Level 3
249 posts

I'm with you about being in the "early days".  I haven't quite gotten any audio featured anywhere either so I just release pieces as I get into my equipment and learn my craft.  

In regards to your audio reel, its definitely better to just avoid something that could potentially hurt you.

Best of luck!

posted 2014-08-14T18:54:38-07:00 | edited 2014-08-14T18:56:05-07:00
grado

1255 posts

I would just use some generic pictures that fit the genre, or some other film footage, rather than actual games

posted 2014-08-18T14:46:13-07:00
Super Audio Brains

4 posts

Cheers DJStatika, Idecided against images in the end. I'm working on plenty of games at the mo so i just need to be patient, a trailer will happen soon enough.

I checked out your website. Your a busy guy! Is that a game a month! Wink

posted 2014-08-19T07:44:15-07:00
grado

1255 posts

I checked out your website. Your a busy guy! Is that a game a month! 

I'm afraid not. Thats 10 years worth of games... I wish I could make 1 a month!

posted 2014-08-19T10:52:20-07:00