Its time for a new toy.

6 posts (showing 1-6)
The Tao of Chris

Market Level 0Community Level 3
249 posts

So, I have been thinking of pulling the trigger on this little guy for a while.

Port

It seems like it would make it easier.... being the artist and engineer to have all the controls at my fingertips.  

I also plan on turning my closet into a vocal booth.  If I have to do VO's from the booth, this would come in way handy.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderPort/

What do you think?  

posted 2014-06-26T14:41:02-07:00
JHII

Market Level 5Community Level 6
716 posts

It's amazing that there are not more options for these types of control surfaces. One fader, transport controls and maybe some assignable keys for specific functions (zoom, mix/edit/midi windows, workspace browser).

I've heard good to bad things about the Fader Port. I think it uses the HUI protocol to connect to Pro Tools, so banking is probably the set-up for the fader. That could get ugly. I've never used it though, so I'm guessing.

I've been eyeing the Avid Artist Control. I don't know though, it seems like it might make things more complex than simpler.

If the Softtube Console 1 had a motorized throw fader instead of a rotary for the volume, I'd probably go with that (although, that's outside the realm of a simple control surface).

In summary, I have no idea. :P

posted 2014-06-26T15:19:54-07:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

I'm thinking (hoping) that the hui protocol shouldn't interfere with the way I want to use it.

I have read that the fader port will follow what is selected via the mouse in PT. Hopefully the banking doesn't interfere with that. If it doesn't, I'm ok with that. But it would be nice.

It has officially been added to my Christmas list.

posted 2014-07-20T18:09:43-07:00
JHII

716 posts

If it follows the selected track, I'd definitely say go for it.

I know every single time I mix, I pine for a long throw fader.

posted 2014-07-20T19:12:33-07:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

Welp, didn't get the faderport yet....  But my wife did buy me this! 

KAT Percussion KT1 - E-Kit.   I don't care about the sounds in the brain.  I run a usb cable to my mac for my VI's.  Awesome!!!!!

posted 2014-07-25T20:58:36-07:00
JHII

716 posts

jealous.. would love to have a small e-kit!

posted 2014-07-25T21:24:48-07:00