Why do you work that way?

17 posts (showing 1-17)
JHII

Market Level 5Community Level 6
716 posts

A really cool presentation by Jim Motley of SSL. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUI4kxEpJj-lhM4PkYItjDzw&v=46NEVmfkpXo

posted 2014-04-18T03:47:01-07:00
The Tao of Chris

Market Level 0Community Level 3
249 posts

Love the commentary about the shaker....

posted 2014-06-23T18:28:13-07:00
SiliconWorldAD

Market Level 0Community Level 4
407 posts

You try hard to keep this forum section alive and regularly active JH, but there's just something missing from it, which I can tell from the fact that you're a majority of the topics and posts here, its almost your own blog. What about more interactive sound widgets for this component of the site, like the sound equivalent of kuler.adobe.com ? 

posted 2014-06-26T04:10:32-07:00 | edited 2014-06-26T04:16:08-07:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

I'm having a difficult time reading you on this post. I may be way off, but...  You do know that you can post your own topics as well?

posted 2014-06-26T14:15:15-07:00 | edited 2014-06-26T14:15:39-07:00
JHII

716 posts

Let's please try not to de-rail another thread shall we?

posted 2014-06-26T14:30:44-07:00
SiliconWorldAD

407 posts

The Tao of Chris said:

I'm having a difficult time reading you on this post. I may be way off, but...  You do know that you can post your own topics as well?

Not only did I in fact try to post to help, but the point is, why is JHLL a majority of all posts and threads here? If you look at general chat or programming or collaboration, there's way way way more activity from a variety of people, something about this section is lacking excitement and I've seen it that way for a long time, maybe because the most it has to offer is an occasional youtube link like this. 

posted 2014-06-26T14:53:56-07:00 | edited 2014-06-26T14:54:54-07:00
JHII

716 posts

And you've done it again, bravo!

First off, please re-read my username. You're doing it wrong.

Inherently, there of course will be more traction on the coding and developing side. It's just the way the industry is. I will disagree that there aren't exciting topics going here. The guitar thread, the mobile app thread, the new game mastering standards, pan laws, the amplitude changes of doubling, etc. If that kind of stuff isn't your bag, then perhaps this life isn't for you.

I suppose the biggest sin of this forum is that we don't really cater to the Audacity/Fruity Loops crowd. We usually take our craft and our gear pretty seriously. They, of course, are welcome but until they have some quality work that's out in the wild, it's going to be rough to get up on a soapbox.

Now please, if you'd like to talk about the video posted, feel free. If not, then please start a new thread.

posted 2014-06-26T15:37:59-07:00 | edited 2014-06-26T16:32:35-07:00
SiliconWorldAD

407 posts

JHII said:

And you've done it again, bravo!

I'll learn the lesson about spelling when you learn your lesson about impertinence.

JHII said:

Now please, if you'd like to talk about the video posted, feel free. If not, then please start a new thread.

I find the video contributes to the lack of excitement and ambition of the section.

posted 2014-06-26T22:56:03-07:00 | edited 2014-06-26T22:59:11-07:00
JHII

716 posts

*sigh*

Good for you! Feel free to move along! Or add to the conversation to raise the quality. Whatever.

Until then, since I tire of your exasperating demeanor, I will treat it as the faint sound of a small child in the back of a plane. I will continue to work, make money, please clients and tune you out.

posted 2014-06-27T02:25:45-07:00
SiliconWorldAD

407 posts

That makes two of us. After seeing this thread with this specific video, its hard to think why I even bothered trying to help this dying section that this thread with this video is involved in, just harassment 80% of the time in the section that this thread with this video is involved in, such a shame. 

posted 2014-06-27T04:47:09-07:00 | edited 2014-06-27T05:34:03-07:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

Its crazy if you break it down, what this video actually offers.  I think of the video in terms of sitting in a control room.  There is a lot going on, and yes.  Lets put the things closer to us that we use more.  I know I do that with my coffee!  But we aren't in studios anymore.  How does that apply to us sitting at home with a small desk and whatever DAW.  

I know myself, I love the setup I have.  BUT....... I have to reach around things to adjust this or that, re-think of the shortcuts and tricks that are out there.  All of which slow me down.  I need to do simple re-arranging of my "console" I have to learn the tricks and use them more to not allow myself into getting backed up.  But they all apply to anyone. 

Knowing the program you use..... YES.  I was once working out of Sonar8Pro.  3 friends all with experience, 1 that knew the program crazy well could not add a click track without actually tracking it.  It took me a week or so of noodling around in that program to figure it out.   Time wasted on a program that was not very intuitive.  A big factor in my switching to ProTools.  I don't care about which DAW... More friends used it, in turn allowing me to be around it more and learning tips and tricks and being able to apply them and commit them to memory.

About the shaker.... I remember recording a track for an artist and we were going to add tambourine.  I picked a good mic, getting the mic out of the box and my co-producer/engineer said.  "just grab the fucking 57".  Jeezus I felt dumb.  He's right!  How long to set up a nice condenser? How long to set up a 57?  How many times have you hear a tambourine on a track and thought, "Damn, that tambourine sounds amazing! You can really hear the room!"  NEVER.  

Its a good study as to how you work.  If you are making fruity loops, maybe not.  But if you are working with live audio... Yes.  If you are working on some VI's  Yes.  Right back into how intuitive it is and if you are wasting your time on getting a sound that just is not there.

Anyway.  Good video.  

posted 2014-06-27T16:23:39-07:00
MusicIs

Market Level 0Community Level 2
59 posts

i'm with siliconword, i've tried to revive this forum a couple of times, and i was blatantly accused of using it as a platform for my advertising.

I guess it is his steady income job so he likes to maintain it as it is.

posted 2014-07-19T14:20:20-07:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

posted 2014-07-19T14:28:19-07:00
JHII

716 posts

MusicIs said:

i'm with siliconword, i've tried to revive this forum a couple of times, and i was blatantly accused of using it as a platform for my advertising.

Not that I feel the need to defend myself, but this accusation is not only unfair, but plainly untrue.

Here was my response to the exact thread you're talking about:

Not disagreeing. I wouldn't mind if people would post their new projects or tracks, we could all probably teach each other a lot of things doing that.

I do mind the ridiculous level of posts that basically amount to advertisements when forums get opened up to portfolio threads. With saying that, the art forum seems to do a good a job and there is some nice back and forth there well.

Definitely something that's up for discussion.

That post got panties in a wad? Really? Which part exactly? The part where I say we could all learn or maybe the hideous part where I put it up for discussion? I 'blatantly accused' you of nothing. 

I'm not sure what the hate is here, but I feel maybe it's younger, more inexperienced people that just want their heads patted and told they were good little boys and girls that day? Maybe not.. I don't know. I'm with Chris.. it's a bit of a crazy pills situation.

posted 2014-07-19T20:42:01-07:00
FGL_Porter

FGL AdminCommunity Level 16
427 posts

Neat video - he makes some very valid points for anyone working anywhere. On the topic of how your work area makes you feel, I just now became aware that my walls are bland, and completely lacking inspiration (I moved to a new place 3 months ago). Just from watching that video, I've come up with the following:

-I need a new office chair
-I'd love to have some Nintendo Power posters hanging above my computer
-I'm extremely glad I installed an AC last month
-I still need a new office chair.

How you feel at work definitely effects how productive you are, and it's super easy to ignore upgrading such things once you're used to what you have.

posted 2014-07-20T00:37:54-07:00
MusicIs

Market Level 0Community Level 2
59 posts

JHII said:

MusicIs said:

Not that I feel the need to defend myself, but this accusation is not only unfair, but plainly untrue.

Here was my response to the exact thread you're talking about:

Not disagreeing. I wouldn't mind if people would post their new projects or tracks, we could all probably teach each other a lot of things doing that.

I do mind the ridiculous level of posts that basically amount to advertisements when forums get opened up to portfolio threads. With saying that, the art forum seems to do a good a job and there is some nice back and forth there well.

Definitely something that's up for discussion.

That post got panties in a wad? Really? Which part exactly? The part where I say we could all learn or maybe the hideous part where I put it up for discussion? I 'blatantly accused' you of nothing. 

I'm not sure what the hate is here, but I feel maybe it's younger, more inexperienced people that just want their heads patted and told they were good little boys and girls that day? Maybe not.. I don't know. I'm with Chris.. it's a bit of a crazy pills situation.

between this and head patting is a long way. and silicon also posted on a suggestion forum for music and sound. this is your forum, why not address that.

and it was this quote, nice of you to ignore it:

Blatant self promotion is heavily discouraged here. While updates are certainly slow, I wouldn't term them 'dim'.

Maybe having work threads like they do on the art forum isn't a bad idea though. As long as it doesn't get into the whole "look at me, look at me!" spectrum.

posted 2014-07-20T02:28:38-07:00
The Tao of Chris

249 posts

Seriously, I don't get it at all.  If you come in and troll a forum about something way off topic, how would you expect something like the feedback the art community has to happen here?  You can't even stay on topic with the thread.

I think it would be nice to have a thread about our personal works and get feedback here and there, sure that would be great.  Now the problem lies in everyone being able to get up from the children's table, putting on their big boy pants and manning up.  

This accusation crap is just that.  If it did go ignored, it was for a reason most likely.  Us in the grown up world can see a bad thing coming and steer clear of it.  

If you have an idea for the forums, head over to the suggestions area.  They are going to get lost in the off topic posts.

There is a lot of good information on this thread all be it very scattered,  information that is being presented by people have the portfolio to back it up.

If you want to troll boards and give people a hard time that are trying to help out the small community of musicians here, pack up your djx keyboard and your skull candy speakers and go to newgrounds.

posted 2014-07-20T14:04:40-07:00