Unity5 browser without plugin

12 posts (showing 1-12)
EntertainmentForge

Market Level 6Community Level 6
710 posts

They announced that unity 5 won't need plugin for Chrome and Firefox: http://liliputing.com/2014/03/unity-5-will-bring-plugin-free-games-web.html

I figured then sponsors will be interested in unity browser games just as much as in flash browser games. Agree?

posted 2014-03-22T15:08:04-07:00
FGL_Porter

FGL AdminCommunity Level 16
427 posts

I hadn't see that news when reading about Unity 5 yesterday - that's great. As for your theory, that seems logical. I don't know how much things will change, but I suspect they will move in that direction a bit.

posted 2014-03-22T15:23:31-07:00
ozdy

Market Level 6Community Level 13
1482 posts

On Mar 22, 2014, EntertainmentForge said:

They announced that unity 5 won't need plugin for Chrome and Firefox: http://liliputing.com/2014/03/unity-5-will-bring-plugin-free-games-web.html

I figured then sponsors will be interested in unity browser games just as much as in flash browser games. Agree?

Not too optimistic, biggest Flash advantage is that there are so many Flash portals and a game spreads so easily. For example, HTML5 games never needed a plugin to begin with but they just don't spread nearly as good as Flash.

posted 2014-04-13T17:43:59-07:00
EntertainmentForge

Market Level 6Community Level 6
710 posts

Maybe. But I believe there will be way more advanced games in unity then in html5. So if you are portal owner and there is game that everybody is crazy about why not add it to your website.

But who knows... Well we will see how will things turn out...

posted 2014-04-13T18:21:58-07:00
sandeep410

Market Level 1Community Level 3
175 posts

It wont make any difference bec unity game with webgl dont spread and hence sponsor wont be bothered with it no matter how good the game is.

Even now you can make 3d games with html5 but no1 bothers to make it bec its not worth the time and it would be never sponsored.

posted 2014-11-12T06:39:45-08:00
FGL_Porter

FGL AdminCommunity Level 16
427 posts

sandeep410 said:

It wont make any difference bec unity game with webgl dont spread and hence sponsor wont be bothered with it no matter how good the game is.

Even now you can make 3d games with html5 but no1 bothers to make it bec its not worth the time and it would be never sponsored.

Sponsorship is but one of many routes - don't be so quick to rule out other forms of monetizing :)

posted 2014-11-12T06:48:18-08:00
sandeep410

Market Level 1Community Level 3
175 posts

FGL_Porter said:

sandeep410 said:

It wont make any difference bec unity game with webgl dont spread and hence sponsor wont be bothered with it no matter how good the game is.

Even now you can make 3d games with html5 but no1 bothers to make it bec its not worth the time and it would be never sponsored.

Sponsorship is but one of many routes - don't be so quick to rule out other forms of monetizing :)

If the game doesnt spread you wont make any money with ads either.

posted 2014-11-12T06:52:32-08:00
GameOp

Market Level 3Community Level 3
206 posts

You can still sell mobile rights for a unity game since it has a direct exporter for mobile devices. In my opinion this is good news since it opens up new opportunities that unity didn't have before. Wasn't surgeon simulator built on unity? It was a viral game that was extremely popular and its not the only one. Not all games are gonna end up the same way, of course, but building 3D games on unity is much easier then the current methods we have with html5 games and three.js. I'm gonna wait a couple of months to see how it turns out. 

posted 2014-11-12T06:54:06-08:00
sandeep410

Market Level 1Community Level 3
175 posts

You can even now sell the game rights for mobile using unity. We are talking about webgl for unity and not unity for mobile. Having the webgl export wont make any difference

posted 2014-11-12T07:38:53-08:00
GameOp

Market Level 3Community Level 3
206 posts

Using the engine makes it quicker to build 3d games, in which you can create webgl related games quicker then before, so time isn't wasted. Its innovative, so the webgl export is useful since it lowers the opportunity cost to build a 3d game.  So that does make a difference.

As for ad revenue, the web player was dreadful so not everyone wanted to play unity games due to compatibility issues, so generally you wouldn't make much from ads. Sites wouldn't even host unity games because of the webplayer. With webgl support we can now avoid having players install a third party addon and have websites consider unity games. Which is better then before. Its actually a big difference.

I don't think sponsors will want to jump on it now but its always a possibility for the future. Maybe some new ad revenue opportunities will pop up as well.

posted 2014-11-12T08:10:15-08:00 | edited 2014-11-12T08:27:37-08:00
GameOp

Market Level 3Community Level 3
206 posts

It probably won't be as viral as flash but its a definitely start somewhere.

posted 2014-11-12T08:13:51-08:00 | edited 2014-12-14T05:53:38-08:00
sandeep410

Market Level 1Community Level 3
175 posts

Like i already said html5 already did this. And none of those 3d games made a single revenue.

It would pick up in future but its gona take a year or more, even then it wont be that profitable

posted 2014-11-12T09:15:36-08:00