Why is "everybody" excited about Titanfall? Conspiracy?

9 posts (showing 1-9)
VaragtP

Market Level 5Community Level 6
814 posts

As someone who have been a hardcore gamer since the Commendore 64 you tend to have developed a kind of "sixth sense" about games and can easy spot potential in games long before their release. Titanfall is totally off the map for me personally though, and I have heard similair things from others despite the insane hype. Can someone explain what is so interesting about this game? It looks really bland and generic, and as something that is regarded as the "flagship" for a Next-Gen console it looks even worse. To me I almost get conspiracy feeling, :P Since this is Microsofts big flagship is it possible they could have stirred up all this hype from underneath somehow? I just don't get it at all. Can anyone explain? Any Titanfall fans here?

posted 2014-03-09T17:46:00-07:00 | edited 2014-03-09T17:48:40-07:00
GroZZleR

Market Level 7Community Level 10
1594 posts

It came out of nowhere at E3 last year to set the record for most Game Critic Awards (http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/2/4486664/e3-2013-game-critics-awards-winners-titanfall), previously held by The Last of Us.  So that's what set the hype machine in motion.

As for if it's deserved or not, having played the beta on my Xbox One, I can attest that it is new and different when you compare it to the tried and true formula of Call of Duty (the current juggernaut).  The verticality of the movement is a new beast, as is the wall running and jetpack double jumping.  It's a lot more movement oriented than CoD.  Throw in some giant mechs and it's easy to see why its being talked about so much.

Is it new and different enough?  Probably not.  I reckon CoD is just going to copy the more dynamic movement in their next iteration this year and obliterate the competition.  On a personal note, Dark Souls 2 releases the same day as Titanfall, so... yeah... it has no chance for my attention this week.

posted 2014-03-09T18:50:27-07:00
VaragtP

814 posts

GroZZleR said:

It came out of nowhere at E3 last year to set the record for most Game Critic Awards (http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/2/4486664/e3-2013-game-critics-awards-winners-titanfall), previously held by The Last of Us.  So that's what set the hype machine in motion.

As for if it's deserved or not, having played the beta on my Xbox One, I can attest that it is new and different when you compare it to the tried and true formula of Call of Duty (the current juggernaut).  The verticality of the movement is a new beast, as is the wall running and jetpack double jumping.  It's a lot more movement oriented than CoD.  Throw in some giant mechs and it's easy to see why its being talked about so much.

Is it new and different enough?  Probably not.  I reckon CoD is just going to copy the more dynamic movement in their next iteration this year and obliterate the competition.  On a personal note, Dark Souls 2 releases the same day as Titanfall, so... yeah... it has no chance for my attention this week.

Yes, the rewards are even more confusing, not that I trust any media outlet at all with anything these days, there are a lot of clowns in the industry. But to be fair, I have not played it, so it is possible it could be a really amazing game, who knows. Just everything I have seen about it so far looks extremely bland, generic and uncharismatic. This video sums up my feeling quite well: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/384uqk/the-final-bosman-too-cool-for-titanfall

About Dark Souls 2, that is a whole other story, loved both Demon souls and Dark souls :)

posted 2014-03-09T20:01:32-07:00 | edited 2014-03-09T20:03:07-07:00
GroZZleR

Market Level 7Community Level 10
1594 posts

Well the Game Critic Awards are an E3 only event with a judging panel involving every single major media company, so I don't think it's quite as biased as say IGN alone.

I'm not quite sure where you're getting the vibe of it being bland or generic.  Every match begins with a prologue where you're riding in a transport ship with some CO explaining why this territory is important to the war effort and ends with a similar epilogue and the losing team running for their lives trying to make it into rescue / evac ships.  It's a really clever way of adding narrative to multiplayer matches.  Add in double jumping jetpacks, wallrunning and giant mechs roaming the battlefield and I feel like you have anything but generic as far as military shooters are concerned.

What aspects in particular are rubbing you the wrong way?  The video you posted just seems heavily biased against multiplayer games in general.

posted 2014-03-10T18:14:37-07:00 | edited 2014-03-10T18:20:27-07:00
FGL_Rozek

FGL AdminCommunity Level 5
450 posts

Just saw a commercial for this last night.  I wanted to go out instantly and sell a kidney so I can get an XboxOne.

posted 2014-03-10T18:53:47-07:00 | edited 2014-03-10T18:54:02-07:00
VaragtP

814 posts

On Mar 10, 2014, GroZZleR said:

Well the Game Critic Awards are an E3 only event with a judging panel involving every single major media company, so I don't think it's quite as biased as say IGN alone.

I'm not quite sure where you're getting the vibe of it being bland or generic.  Every match begins with a prologue where you're riding in a transport ship with some CO explaining why this territory is important to the war effort and ends with a similar epilogue and the losing team running for their lives trying to make it into rescue / evac ships.  It's a really clever way of adding narrative to multiplayer matches.  Add in double jumping jetpacks, wallrunning and giant mechs roaming the battlefield and I feel like you have anything but generic as far as military shooters are concerned.

What aspects in particular are rubbing you the wrong way?  The video you posted just seems heavily biased against multiplayer games in general.

I mean i don't trust their judgment, most gaming journalists are just wannabe unprofessionals imo. The whole game just seem generic and uninteresting. I mean sure maybe its a good game, but to have this much hype and almost being regarded as the big flagship for next gen is totally confusing. 

I don't know if the huge gap between user reviews and site reviews say something, I am not suprised in the least: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/titanfall

posted 2014-03-11T11:08:59-07:00 | edited 2014-03-11T11:20:46-07:00
FGL_Brian

FGL AdminCommunity Level 3
108 posts

If you want unbiased reviews of Titanfall, seek out the PC player base. Any Xbox One-based review won't be able to help but be rosy as this game is one of the big salvos in the console wars.  (Most Xbox websites still refer to Titanfall as an 'Xbox exclusive', despite it launching simultaneously with the PC version.)

posted 2014-03-11T19:07:09-07:00
RedSpark

Market Level 0Community Level 2
76 posts

From what I've seen from the trailer, it kinda presents itself as Unreal Tournament 2014, hence so much hype, I think. Granted, it's a crossbreed between Crysis and Hawken, but still has a potential, especially if modding community gets its hands to the game. I wish Valve took note and released HL3 deathmatch already.

posted 2014-03-31T19:26:29-07:00
djstatika

Market Level 10Community Level 7
1254 posts

Ive seen some videos of it on youtube now and it does look pretty awesome

posted 2014-04-01T10:40:06-07:00