How many of you run Adblock?

61 posts (showing 1-20)
DarrylJReid

Market Level 4Community Level 4
477 posts

How many of you run Adblock? Just curious, taking into consideration pretty much the entire pool of cash we are all dipping into is virtually all generated via web ads.

posted 2013-03-02T02:54:52-08:00
Gama11

Market Level 1Community Level 4
265 posts

I do, but I have it disabled on certain sites. You might get better data about Adblock usage through google, though - a few answers from a thread like this are not going to be representative, especially as ppl here are probably a lot more tech-savy than the average Internet user.

This site for example claims that about "4.2% of US internet users use Adblock". It's fairly recent (from about a year ago), too.

posted 2013-03-02T09:48:58-08:00
sbat

Market Level 7Community Level 7
849 posts

I do. However my motivation is mostly security, so that bad ads do not expose a hole in FlashPlayer for example.

Personally I do not mind watching banners and other non-intrusive stuff. I would go as far as saying that some banners are in fact useful Wink. So I often disable it for "good" sites. 

posted 2013-03-02T12:28:06-08:00 | edited 2013-03-02T12:29:05-08:00
jjwallace

Market Level 7Community Level 17
4715 posts

why would i run ad blocker? i like buying shiz!

posted 2013-03-02T19:03:36-08:00 | edited 2013-03-02T19:04:03-08:00
knightley

Market Level 3Community Level 6
1064 posts

On Mar 02, 2013, sbat said:

I do. However my motivation is mostly security, so that bad ads do not expose a hole in FlashPlayer for example.

Personally I do not mind watching banners and other non-intrusive stuff. I would go as far as saying that some banners are in fact useful Wink. So I often disable it for "good" sites. 

I do too, the reasons are not important. Laughing

I do allow it on a few big sites though, so I do not miss anything.

posted 2013-03-05T10:32:43-08:00
PKrawczynskiGames

Market Level 3Community Level 4
332 posts

I only have popup blocker on.

posted 2013-03-05T12:41:59-08:00
Penry

Market Level 3Community Level 5
517 posts

My brain blocks ads - so my computer doesn't need to !

posted 2013-03-06T16:34:05-08:00
Alekhine

Market Level 2Community Level 5
488 posts

I do. I don't have any money to buy anything apart from the bare necessities(coffee,food,coffee), so I am not interested in any offers.

posted 2013-03-06T20:50:37-08:00
FGL_Eric

FGL AdminCommunity Level 13
3719 posts

Funny story: people who sign up for CPMstar on our site often complain that it just shows a blank screen. "It's broken, I can't use CPMstar." This invariably happens because they have ad block on, and it blocks the CPMstar signup form!

Personally I tell them "sorry, can't help you," because I hate the hypocrisy of it: if you're planning on making money from ads and you intentionally block ads, you're a hypocrite in my book. But I couldn't make that the official FGL policy, because Aaron keeps helpfully telling them to turn off their ad blocker. Like it's his job to help people or something.

posted 2013-03-07T17:48:39-08:00
knightley

Market Level 3Community Level 6
1064 posts

FGL_Eric said:

Personally I tell them "sorry, can't help you," because I hate the hypocrisy of it: if you're planning on making money from ads and you intentionally block ads, you're a hypocrite in my book.

I agree with you the world is full of hypocrisy and I also share your feeling towards it.

But I don't think the example you gave is such a case, it is like saying the nice lady who sells cookies but does not eat cookies herself is a hypocrite and that does not sound too accurate to me.

What you have described is more ignorance I believe.

P.S. Wow, you got a "Good Post (+10)" Tongue Out

posted 2013-03-07T18:03:54-08:00 | edited 2013-03-07T18:05:43-08:00
pepperpunk

Market Level 3Community Level 11
2401 posts

I only selectively run flashblock with a manual blacklist to get rid of anything really annoying or seizure-inducing.

Everything else gets left alone, I don't mind text or image ads, but when you get 7 banners flashing "Fart on Obama to win a ipad 7!!!!" etc. at you it gets a bit annoying.

One of my pet hates about the web, along with that accursed  "javascript snow" that every website and their dog likes to add in as soon as November hits.

Invariably, the whole thing is horribly coded and jacks CPU usage up to 90% because the knuckle-headed web dev just copy+pasted the first "Wicked Cool Free Java Snow Plugin" they googled and left it at that.

I had to replace the fan on my PC a couple of months ago because it was overheating and causing shutdowns... and the website I wanted to buy the new fan off of had that stupid javascript snow running causing my temps to spike. I had to close the site and buy it elsewhere because it was impossible to actually order the thing without my PC shutting down (couldn't just block javascript either, their navigation depended on it).

It does seem to be effective though, I've noticed a correlation between how annoying I find the CPMstar ads shown on my own games and how much money I'm earning from them. If you enable the full-screen video ads rather than the thumbnail, your earnings increase by quite a lot.

posted 2013-03-07T19:50:18-08:00 | edited 2013-03-07T19:53:26-08:00
dekleinewolf

Market Level 0Community Level 2
156 posts

I don't think it's really hypocritical. 

I would love, love, love for the flashindustry (and basically the internet in general) to work by the players (end consumer) directly giving money to the me (the developer). Sadly, that's not the case though. 

I have disabled add-blocker on Kongregate though. But not on the sites where I watch stolen tv-series. These have the most annoying adds (often with sound... while I'm watching a series...) and don't produce their own content. The don't deserve my money.

Now if I could pay some website 10 dollars a month and watch all the series I want, a few hours after they were broadcast, and that money ended up with the creators, I would never ever watch stolen content anymore. Same goes for games. I love the Kongregate Plus feature!

posted 2013-03-08T15:31:35-08:00 | edited 2013-03-08T15:32:10-08:00
Alekhine

Market Level 2Community Level 5
488 posts

dekleinewolf said:

Now if I could pay some website 10 dollars a month and watch all the series I want, a few hours after they were broadcast, and that money ended up with the creators, I would never ever watch stolen content anymore. Same goes for games. I love the Kongregate Plus feature!

Ever heard of netflix.com?

posted 2013-03-08T17:38:41-08:00
PKrawczynskiGames

Market Level 3Community Level 4
332 posts

Alekhine said:

dekleinewolf said:

Ever heard of netflix.com?

Its not available for example in Poland unless you use proxy for it.

posted 2013-03-08T18:14:35-08:00
Archbob

Market Level 7Community Level 10
1164 posts

I figure those sites would just block people who use adblock since those people are useless to them anyways.

posted 2013-03-10T07:33:50-07:00
JohnBlackburne

Market Level 3Community Level 10
2188 posts

I use a Flash and other plugins blocker, ClickToPlugin, have a bunch of sites whitelisted including this one, then manually load Flash when needed. This works well as I essentially see the same web as I would on an iOS or other device, so I see most adverts. I also see all CPM and in-game ads if I load the game. I have little sympathy for sites which still run Flash banner ads, with all the security, performance and stability problems of Flash, when there are good alternatives. iOS has been around over five years now, it's maybe time to become compatible with it.

Funnily I've found ClickToPlugin most essential on game sites. Not as they have worse adverts (though some are pretty bad) but as while I can tolerate Flash ads using 30+% CPU on a news page I will finish reading soon I can't tolerate them using 30+% CPU when I'm trying to play a game. Especially as I run with the Flash debug plugin so see all errors and often see worse performance due to lazy programming and the debug plugin's sensitivity to bad code.

posted 2013-03-10T19:29:48-07:00
Leebo

Market Level 1Community Level 5
549 posts

I use NoScript with Firefox, which does block some ads by default. If the site is trusted, I whitelist it.

posted 2013-03-10T19:44:50-07:00
Mokshal Media

Market Level 3Community Level 0
23 posts

AdBlocker is a huge threat to not only the flash game industry, but also the internet as a whole. Most website owners make their money solely off of ads. It does not seem fair that someone can come along, use up the server resources and leave the site; putting us at a loss. 

With ad blocker getting more and more popular, the only thing that can be done now is automatically redirect adblocker users to an advertisers website. This however, will only pay meager amounts. Its surprising to see so many devs using ad blocker when indirectly, their earnings WILL be affected by this. 

The more people that use adblocker = less revenue for publishers.

Less revenue for publishers = less games sponsored.

Less games sponsored = loss for developers. 

Hope some of you think twice before blocking out the only source of income for publishers. If you decide to view their content for free, you should at least give them credit to show their ads.

posted 2013-03-12T16:45:10-07:00
Leebo

Market Level 1Community Level 5
549 posts

It's a problem of a small group of people giving everyone a bad name.

I think if ads like the ones that shout "You won! Claim your prize" and others like them didn't exist, fewer people would block ads.

I think the amount of people who block ads simply to avoid seeing any kind of advertising whatsoever, and not just the blatantly annoying ones, are the minority.

posted 2013-03-12T17:08:36-07:00
Mokshal Media

Market Level 3Community Level 0
23 posts

Leebo said:

It's a problem of a small group of people giving everyone a bad name.

I think if ads like the ones that shout "You won! Claim your prize" and others like them didn't exist, fewer people would block ads.

I think the amount of people who block ads simply to avoid seeing any kind of advertising whatsoever, and not just the blatantly annoying ones, are the minority.

Not to be rude - but if someone doesn't want to look at the ads, simply don't visit the site. Seeing a flashing banner is a small price to pay for the generally free content you are getting.

You give some - you lose some.

posted 2013-03-12T17:12:09-07:00