4, 5, 6, 7 (and more) strings.. the guitar thread

94 posts (showing 1-20)
JHII

Market Level 5Community Level 6
716 posts

OK, so I love playing and recording guitars. I also love talking about guitars. I also like looking at them.

Post your stringed wonders here. Talk about them, mods, uses, anything. Doesn't matter how cheap or expensive.. every guitar has a soul. The rule of "didn't happen unless there are pics" applies.

Basses and amps are welcome as well.

posted 2011-01-26T22:00:24-08:00
DVGmusic

Market Level 3Community Level 8
425 posts

I've never really gotten too much into hotrodding, but this guitar is next on my list.  A buddy has it and it has a really unique sound to it.

http://www.rondomusic.com/T-7NAT.HTML

Yeah, that's a 7 string tele :)

posted 2011-01-26T22:16:02-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Fender Highway One HSS Stratocaster
Year : 2005
Made in: USA
Body: Alder
Neck:Maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Pickups: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (bridge), Fender Tex-Mex (middle and neck).

I replaced the original Fender Atomic bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates and also switched out pickguards for a pearloid one. I was going to replace the Tex-Mex pickups but I actually quite like them.

I have an affinity for old school pin-up girl pics, so added the pirate pin-up girl graphic to the back.

I set the action a little high so that the guitar will fight me a bit. This has become a great utility guitar able to pull off solos or rhythms in multiple styles very well. Plus it looks cool with that big 70s headstock.

Apologies for the pic quality, iPod Touch cameras are crap.

posted 2011-01-26T22:34:38-08:00 | edited 2011-01-26T22:36:37-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Gretsch 6120
Year : 2002
Made in: Japan
Body: Maple
Neck: Maple
Fingerboard: Ebony
Pickups: Filtertron

So I really, really love Gretsch guitars. I just like the different but classic approach. Since I couldn't afford an actual 1960 6120, I got this one. It's made in Japan, but that's fine with me since I put Japanese made guitars only slightly behind US made ones.

This thing plays amazingly well, it's just truly outstanding. It's the most neutral sounding guitar amplified that I have. It obviously does jazz, traditional country and rockabilly very well, but it is also an amazing rock guitar. I really find that hollowbody guitars are underrated, especially for more agressive music.

I don't plan on this being my only Gretsch.

posted 2011-01-27T00:32:31-08:00 | edited 2011-01-27T00:34:41-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Gibson SG3
Year : 2007
Body: Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Pickups: Gibson '57 Classic Plus (bridge), Gibson '57 Classic (Middle and Neck)

A limited run Gibson made in 2007, I haven't seen many of these. This was a last minute purchase as I really my sights set on a Rickenbacker, but with arrival dates of 3 months, I started looking around. I've always really liked SGs, they just have so much attitude, so thought I was going to get a Standard, but when I saw this, I got so pumped that I head-butted my dog. I'm pretty glad I got this instead of the Rick (although I'd still like to have one at some point).

It plays great, sounds mean as hell and is just plain cool. The '57 pickups give it a lot more upward extension than a usual SG, so it can get bright if you're not used to it. It's a one trick pony, but it does that trick very well.

This is my go-to guitar for rock projects.

posted 2011-01-27T02:04:10-08:00
DVGmusic

425 posts

There's the winner.  SGs are the most comfortable guitars to play.  I really miss mine.

Threw some EMGs in it (kinda regret that actually, I think some Duncans would have been better) but it made the ladies swoon. The click-strap was awesome too.  Really easy to quickly take on and off coupled with straplocks for some guitar spins.

posted 2011-01-27T02:14:28-08:00 | edited 2011-01-27T02:15:59-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Not a fan of EMGs, but I'm not a fan of active pickups at all.

SGs are looked over most of the time, but I think they are great. I've played almost every line of them and there really isn't a dog among them (sure some are better than others, but they are pretty solid across the board).

I even bought a used SG faded with an ebony fretboard. I ripped all the electronics out and sanded it down. I'm going to paint, upgrade all of the electronics and throw a bigsby on it. Well, that's the plan anyway :)

posted 2011-01-27T02:24:55-08:00
Ultima2876

Market Level 4Community Level 10
2409 posts

My Epiphone Les Paul. One day I want to get the Gibson Manhattan Midnight LP if I ever find one, but for now this is my baby and it makes a great workhorse guitar :) It takes all the abuse I give it and plays beautifully. No customisations so far, considering changing the bridge pickup though because it's a bit harsh for me - I prefer to use my neck pickup almost all the time.

I'll post some pics of my 12-string this weekend after I've been to band practice - most of my equipment is at our rehearsal space :P

posted 2011-01-27T02:25:50-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Fender American Standard Telecaster
Year : 2008
Body: Alder
Fingerboard: Maple
Pickups: Fender American Tele Single (bridge), Fender American Tele Lipstick (neck)

Almost always, I buy a equipment for a specific need. I'm not really into instrument versatility, I just want it to do what it was designed for well. This guitar does that in spades. It's a strange color called Blizzard Pearl. It's like a very light grey with silver and pearl flakes that really does have a pearl luminosity to it. It's impossible to capture in photos. I wanted white.. they didn't make white that year, so I got this.

If you know what a tele sounds and plays like, then yep, that's how this one is. It is unforgiving though, there is nothing to hide behind on these guitars. I like it, it keeps me honest.

I'm kinda into the whole single-coil thing right now, so this one gets played a lot on my production projects, but it creeps in on the video game projects as well.

posted 2011-01-27T03:08:18-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Ultima: so you like the blue guitars do ya? :) I'd love to get a goldtop or desert burst LP.

I think you can find those Midnight Manhattan LPs between $1000 and $2000 around. I see them here and there.

posted 2011-01-27T03:25:40-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Schecter C7 Diamond Series
Year : 1998
Made in: South Korea
Pickups: DiMarzio D-Sonic (bridge), Duncan Designed (neck)

In the mid to late nineties, 7 strings were all the rage. I needed one for a production gig and this was the best price to performance one I found. The electronics were crap from the get-go so I've replaced pots and the toggle. I also went with a pretty agressive DiMarzio to replace the Duncan Designed thing in the bridge. I haven't switched out the neck pickup yet, because, well I just haven't got around to it. Those Duncan things, while not the worst pickups I've ever heard, are not that good.

It plays well, sounds good, looks OK (the natural wood binding is a nice touch) and has paid for itself many times over. It is my only 7 string and one of two go-to guitars for heavy stuff.

posted 2011-01-27T06:06:16-08:00
Turrican

Market Level 0Community Level 5
692 posts

Wow. Nice guitars!

I have one Cort X-11 and an Epiphone Les Paul Slash Signature.

I´m using JamVOX for effects and the Reaper for recordings.

I will post pics later.

posted 2011-01-27T11:47:47-08:00 | edited 2011-01-27T11:48:17-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Jackson Soloist Student
Year : 1986
Pickups: Either Jackson or Seymour Duncan, depending on who you believe

My first guitar. This one has seen and done a lot! I've had to replace the toggle once just from usage but otherwise it's built like a tank. It's a neck-through design using all mahogany so while it plays comfortable, it's a little on the heavy side (in both the literal and metaphor). I use pretty heavy string gauges on this one so it doesn't play like a 'guitar gymnastics' guitar, but it could. It has a Kahler tremolo on it, which is a little different from the normal Floyd Rose. I did switch out the locking nut from an allen wrench one to a thumb locking system. I had it installed by the guy who designed thumb locks, so that's probably why mine doesn't have some of the issues I hear others complain about.

There is some controversy about what kind of pickups these are. It could be settled very quickly by removing them and taking a peek at the back, but I'm worried that it would change the sound (even slightly) and I really like the sound of this guitar. It plays fast but thick and sounds big and mean. Despite it's dated looks, this is a seriously good guitar.

posted 2011-01-27T17:22:58-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Year : 2006
Made in: Mexico
Body: Ash
Fingerboard: Maple
Pickups: Seymour Duncan SSL-5 (bridge), Fender Noiseless Vintage (middle and neck)

I have a love/hate relationship with this guitar. It looks great, plays great and feels great. Playing it unplugged let's you know that this thing will sound great plugged in.. well, except for the fact that it doesn't sound great plugged in. This thing is BRIGHT. Not the cool hard ash, maple fretboard, single coils kind of bright I wanted, but BRIGHT. Oh yeah, and thin. I switched the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan thinking that the problem might be with the Vintage Noiseless, but it wasn't.

I talked to a Seymour Duncan rep recently and he told me that Fender put 1 Meg pots in these. Why? Who knows, it makes no damn sense, but it probably explains the sound. I've yet to switch them out with 250K pots, but it's on my to-do list as I think this could be a really nice guitar. As of now, I only use it for over-the-top distorted stuff.

In a nutshell, this is precisely why I usually ignore the Mexican Fenders. They have decent build quality, but the electronics are questionable (at best). As a friend of mine says, "Mexican Fenders are fine as long as you add the expense and time it takes to get them to an acceptable level into the original price".

posted 2011-01-27T20:58:01-08:00
Ultima2876

2409 posts

Had any experience with the new Blacktop Fenders? People are saying good things even though they're Mex...

posted 2011-01-28T01:26:07-08:00
DVGmusic

425 posts

Ultima2876 said:

Had any experience with the new Blacktop Fenders? People are saying good things even though they're Mex...

Some of the best guitars I've played have been built in Mexico.  My Mexican Jazz Bass lasted me for years of gigging and recording.  I loved that thing.

posted 2011-01-28T01:31:12-08:00
Ultima2876

2409 posts

DVGmusic said:

Ultima2876 said:

Some of the best guitars I've played have been built in Mexico.  My Mexican Jazz Bass lasted me for years of gigging and recording.  I loved that thing.

Heh, I'm definitely no gear snob - I played a Squier Strat for the best part of 2 years - I'd just like to get the opinion of one ;P

posted 2011-01-28T02:41:12-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Ultima: No experience with the blacktops. Haven't heard anything about them either, they look cool though. Especially that Jaguar.

DVG: you need to play more guitars then :)

Seriously though, I have never seen a Mexican Fender that was great out of the box. They always need work to bring them up to snuff. Which is fine since you can get them for pretty cheap. Good for banging around clubs? Sure, but they are not at a level that I seek for Tele, Strat, Jazzmaster, etc. recording guitars.

I do feel the Mexican Fenders are put together well and, if you go into their upper echelon, the materials are pretty good. They are leaps and bounds better than some of the Korean Fenders I've played.

There are always exceptions with instruments.. I once had a buddy who was a general manager for a music store chain, there were some interesting budget acoustic guitars just released so he played about 50 of them for me and got me the best one (I bought it as a gift for my brother).. if memory serves me it played and sounded pretty nice.

Other than the exceptions, I have an internal rating of guitar producing countries (classical guitars not withstanding) based solely on experience:
USA > Japan > Mexico > Korea > China > Indonesia

Now that doesn't bear out all of the time, but is a pretty good rule of thumb.

posted 2011-01-28T02:53:24-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Almansa 434
Year : 2010
Made in: Spain
Top: Cedar
Sides: Rosewood
Back: Rosewood
Fingerboard: Ebony

I wish I had time for better pics, this guitar is beautiful. I was working on a video game and wanted a classical guitar (really as a base sound that I was going to manipulate into another sound, but that's beside the point). Since I know very little about them, I contacted an old acquaintance of mine who teaches classical guitar to get his opinions on some mid-level units and he hooked me up with Almansa.

My classical technique is horrible so I have to work to get the sound I want out of it, but on the off chance that I play well, the sound is warm, open and very nice. This guitar is honest, honest, honest.. you can get away with nothing. The dynamics are very good to my ear. It'll just take some practice to coax her into what she can be.

Oh and I'll need to change strings very soon. Which means some local classical guitar guy will make a few extra bucks :)

posted 2011-01-28T03:22:16-08:00
JHII

716 posts

Guild GAD25
Year : 2006
Made in: China
Top: Mahogany
Sides: Mahogany
Back: Mahogany

We were speaking of exceptions.. here's one. I wanted to have an acoustic that complimented other artists usually bright sounding ones. I had a few in mind and went down to a local store to pick a winner from my final list. The problem is I kept picking this one up. After I played it for a bit, I started looking for flaws, I mean a made in China Guild? There has to be some right? Solid back and sides, nice tuners, decently refined details.. man. I shut my intelectual side down, went with my gut and bought it.

Let's be real, this is no Taylor, Gibson or Martin. It doesn't have those silky, shimmery highs (and shouldn't with the wood it's made from). It is, however, very warm with clear highs and a nice attack. It's articulate and deep. It's not a beautiful guitar, but it is different looking in a cool way. The cheap pick-guard irritates me somewhat, I wish they'd have just left it off.

I ask two questions from guitars, "will you sound good in the way I need you to sound good?" and "will you inspire?" Yes and yes.

posted 2011-01-28T05:01:31-08:00 | edited 2011-01-28T05:04:35-08:00