FGL community podcast possibly?

29 posts (showing 1-20)
FGL_Joe

FGL AdminCommunity Level 3
331 posts

Being a big fan of podcasts and podcasting was thinking about starting one for FGL, what would everyone think if I started one, would you listen, what type of things would you want to hear about?  Just an idea that came to mind to help really advertise/show off some of the amazing games and community members of FGL. 

Perhaps could interview some community members about their game, art, experiences, discuss things related to gamersafe, fgl, and flash game art, etc.  Then maybe discuss some general news about whats happening in the world of FGL, and perhaps do some sort of behind the scene's action?  But who knows, the possiblities are endless!!!  Tell me your thoughts, and what you all think about it.

posted 2009-10-02T07:34:09-07:00 | edited 2009-10-02T07:39:37-07:00
colintso

Market Level 0Community Level 3
106 posts

Its a cool idea for sure!  FGL needs podcasts, and perhaps we could get weekly/monthly reviews of certain games on FGL

"How to make a good game" sounds like a good topic to start with?

posted 2009-10-02T08:07:51-07:00
rosedragon

Market Level 1Community Level 16
3696 posts

zomg you will know how bad is my English speaking :P ..

Dunno, it sounds fun except for those who aren't English speaker. Perhaps podcast + magazine sort of.

posted 2009-10-02T08:23:55-07:00
FGL_Joe

331 posts

You make a very good point, wish I spoke more then just english, but yeah...  Curious to hear what more of you think!

posted 2009-10-02T08:38:57-07:00
p60games

Market Level 0Community Level 4
152 posts

i agree with rosedragon ;p

posted 2009-10-02T10:45:02-07:00
FGL_Joe

331 posts

I am starting to get the impression that there are a lot of international users here on fgl.  I can see why it may be difficult for them to enjoy an english based podcast, hm, interesting.

posted 2009-10-02T15:27:56-07:00 | edited 2009-10-02T15:31:15-07:00
FGL_Chris

FGL AdminCommunity Level 9
1807 posts

I think podcasts are a great idea.  Most users of FGL can at least understand English, I would guess (currently, the site is only in english).  I think it would be awesome, though, FGL members who are multi-lingual could translate the podcast transcripts or something :)

posted 2009-10-02T16:24:35-07:00
Cavalcade

Market Level 1Community Level 4
484 posts

Hi Joe aka @retrogamer4ever... i would suggest a youtube show with a format like;

- tip of the show

- reel of spotlight games

- preview of just sold games

- roundup of forum activities

- roundup of interesting flash links

Youtube reach > podcasts.. and if you do it good. it can be podcast friendly too

posted 2009-10-02T17:10:08-07:00
FGL_Joe

331 posts

Hm, I have never done a video version, but I think what you are suggesting is a fantastict idea!  Cavalcade, since it's on you tube could be great exposure for fgl as well.  So perhaps something like http://www.bytejacker.com/ or what http://xnaroundup.mevio.com/#show-episodes does when it comes to reviewing/showing stuff...  Clearly I have never done anything like that (expertise more in podcasting) nor can I promise I could have that kind of production quality! lol, but I will certainly start brain storming! 

In my personal opinion I think a podcast can have a better reach then video because it can spread like wild fire via itunes, Zune, really any media device that can play an audio file.  It's smaller, way easier to produce then video so it can get out there faster in the users hand, and a bit more convient then video.  But I understand why having a visual look at all the games, etc would be very appealing.  Going to put a lot of thought into it all!

Chris you are right, the forum and just about everything on the web site is in English, so I suppose foreign listeners could manage (hopefully).  All great ideas everyone, keep them coming!

posted 2009-10-02T17:43:58-07:00 | edited 2009-10-02T19:42:07-07:00
rosedragon

3696 posts

I think podcasts are a great idea. Most users of FGL can at least understand English, I would guess (currently, the site is only in english). I think it would be awesome, though, FGL members who are multi-lingual could translate the podcast transcripts or something :)

Actually my point is not listening to them but to talk on those. The plan is to have sort of community dialogue and interviews so I assume we going to talk there.

Whatever it is, I'm still prefer text media since they are light-weight and easy to read.

posted 2009-10-02T21:50:36-07:00
internet-superstar

Market Level 0Community Level 4
475 posts

Don't worry Rose, we'll get you a Stephen Hawking voice sythensizer so all you have to do is type!

Mega64 has had good success with a video podcast, but this is because they do video for a living and know how to put on a show. It's going to take a lot more time to make one than an audio.  If you do video, please make an audio-only version available as well.

posted 2009-10-02T22:24:11-07:00
imperator87

Market Level 0Community Level 8
1268 posts

I like the idea of a podcast. I think that the podcast should be made public though. It might garner a greater interest in the site.

posted 2009-10-02T22:57:53-07:00
FGL_Joe

331 posts

It will!  That is one of the main purposes in doing it, it will give FGL a great amount of exposure.  It would be on Itunes, Zune market place, etc.  If a video type of show were to also be created that would be all over youtube, veoh, help get the word out more about FGL, and at the same time expose up and coming flash game developers games as well!  So really everyone wins.  Nice to see people are showing interest in these ideas, please express what type of content you'd like to see in either a video or audio cast. 

posted 2009-10-02T23:12:27-07:00
MunsieGames

Market Level 8Community Level 12
3259 posts

Anything that improves the sponsor experience on FGL I'm all for. This site is after all, for them to buy our products.

posted 2009-10-03T00:56:31-07:00
Cavalcade

Market Level 1Community Level 4
484 posts

podcast is nice but i think it works more for mainstream games as listeners have already been exposed to the games being talked about. if the podcast is gonna be restricted to the already famous flash games (boo!) and flash development (dont) then i can see that working. but if you guys are gonna cover the topics i suggested then a video would be more suitable. it will help sell games which is the core function of FGL. videos can be submitted to itunes too, youtube, vimeo. and as i said it can also be offered as audio only.

dont sweat the production, keep it rudimentary and low budget (perhaps 8-bit). i think that would fit the subject matter.

just my 2cents

posted 2009-10-03T01:10:44-07:00
madpixelante

Market Level 7Community Level 4
362 posts

Hmm, podcasts are always much harder to do well than they seem.

If you're talking about FGL related things you'll probably find it's pretty hard to keep talking for very long and do it regularly. I mean, as cool as FGL is, most weeks it's just "some games were added, some games were sold, some features are being worked on." Not really amazing podcasting material.

If you're selling up the games then it'll probably be difficult to get much of an audience. Sponsors aren't going to take the time to listen and devs are not going to be that interested in hearing other people's games shilled, and to gamers it'll just be advertising.

If you're doing mostly developer talk about developer issues... again it'll be hard to keep coming up with interesting topics that aren't already covered to death and honestly it's a pretty bloated format for that sort of discussion (blogs/forums tend to work better).

If you're trying to reach out and build a bigger community of flash gamers, just talking about cool flash games and stuff, that's probably the easiest route and the best one for actually getting an audience. A relaxed podcast just shootin' the shit, doing some dev interviews and such is what I would recommend if you seriously want to get a regular show going. If it's entertaining then you can easily mix in short little segments for FGL news updates, technical talk, etc.

On that note, are there any flash game podcasts like that? Just being casual and talking about the cool games out there? Jayisgames doesn't have one, do they? Sounds like a pretty prime opportunity.

posted 2009-10-03T04:33:27-07:00
rosedragon

3696 posts

If you're trying to reach out and build a bigger community of flash gamers, just talking about cool flash games and stuff, that's probably the easiest route and the best one for actually getting an audience. A relaxed podcast just shootin' the shit, doing some dev interviews and such is what I would recommend if you seriously want to get a regular show going. If it's entertaining then you can easily mix in short little segments for FGL news updates, technical talk, etc.

On that note, are there any flash game podcasts like that? Just being casual and talking about the cool games out there? Jayisgames doesn't have one, do they? Sounds like a pretty prime opportunity.

Sounds like a good thing to do more cooperation between FGL and jayisgames :) .

I'm very agree to what you say madpixelante!

posted 2009-10-03T06:23:15-07:00
MunsieGames

3259 posts

"If you're selling up the games then it'll probably be difficult to get much of an audience. Sponsors aren't going to take the time to listen and devs are not going to be that interested in hearing other people's games shilled, and to gamers it'll just be advertising."

I agree, sounds like something sponsors would never listen to. Unless it's a podcast about the sponsor.

posted 2009-10-03T16:07:44-07:00
colintso

Market Level 0Community Level 3
106 posts

therefore we should talk about both

posted 2009-10-04T09:55:26-07:00
MunsieGames

3259 posts

If a zillion developers listen to the podcast and no sponsors do, what does it do for the zillion developers?

posted 2009-10-04T15:10:30-07:00